When it's too hot to cook, you'll want to have these Easy Summer Salads and Spreads on hand in the fridge! Most are ready in less than 10-minutes and perfect for the heat!
These recipes are quick and easy, with ingredients you probably already have on hand! Plus, you get a bonus recipe for All-Purpose Sweet and Tangy Salad Dressing!
Why you'll love these recipes!
- Nothing fancy or gourmet - just simple and fast
- Most of these can be made in less than 10-minutes!
- Serve any of these as a snack with crackers and veggies, as a sandwich or put a scoop on a fresh tomato or ripe avocado!
Most of the ingredients for these easy summer salads and spreads are based on what you probably have in your pantry or freezer: canned tuna, eggs, frozen shrimp, leftover ham, pasta, celery, cheese, mustard and mayonnaise.
These quick and easy salads and spreads will hold up well in the fridge for up to 5 days.
During the hottest months, I like to make about 3 of these recipes at a time. That way, I get a little variety and, if someone stops by, I have something cool to offer them!
Missing an ingredient? Don't sweat it! Here are some common substitutions you can apply to any of these summer recipes:
- No lemon? Use white vinegar
- No mayonnaise? Use plain yogurt or a combination of cream cheese and sour cream
- Out of celery? Use chopped water chestnuts, bell pepper or celery salt
- No pickle relish? Finely dice sweet or dill pickles, squeeze in a paper towel to drain
- No dill? Use a little tarragon or caraway
- Out of green onions? Use red or yellow onions
- If you're taking one of these summer salads or spreads to a picnic, keep it chilled by placing the serving bowl in a bowl of ice.
When you can't get to Acapulco, this works!
Put a big scoop of this in a fresh tomato or on a croissant!
A Southern staple...
Spread some of this on a buttery cracker...
This cold pasta salad is perfect for groups!
Use frozen cooked shrimp for this quick recipe!
Refreshing, cold and crunchy...
Serve as an appetizer or snack...
No cooking required...seriously!
Here's some other ideas to incorporate with your summer salad menu!
- 5-Minute Lemon Butter Sauce
- Tex-Mex Sour Cream Sauce
- Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie
- Orange Creamsicle Icebox Pie
Sweet and Tangy Salad Dressing
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- pinch of salt
- In a small saucepan, add all ingredients and cook on medium heat until sugar dissolves
- Allow to cool; Store in refrigerator or use immediately for wilted salads
- Greek: add a clove of garlic to the sugar/vinegar mixture; then add dried oregano and black pepper to the mixture, store in fridge
- Italian: add a clove of garlic to the sugar/vinegar mixture: then add a tablespoon of dried Italian seasonings and shredded Parmesan to the mixture; store in fridge
- Marinade: Pour it over red onion, avocado, tomato, sweet yellow onion, radishes and/or cucumbers and allow to chill in fridge; serve as a cold side dish