If there's one thing you'll find on a Southerner's breakfast menu, it's definitely Sausage Cream Gravy.
This easy and delicious gravy takes 15-minutes to make and goes great with eggs, toast or biscuits!
My favorite breakfast place offers plain and Sausage cream gravy--I usually get the one with Sausage because I like to drizzle it over my scrambled eggs and biscuit...once you make this at home, you'll be set for life!
You'll love this recipe!
- Quick and easy - takes 15-minutes to make
- Simple ingredients - sausage, flour, milk...that's it!
- Versatile - make it as thick or thin as you like!
- Easy clean-up: all you need is one big skillet, preferably cast-iron
You can't eat sausage cream gravy and biscuits every day, let alone every week if you wanna live to see your old age.
Here's what you'll need
One pound of ground sausage; you can use plain or sage flavored, although I recommend plain
- 2½ cups of milk (maybe a little more, depending upon your preference)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
How to make it
Use a large cast-iron skillet it you have one and brown the sausage on medium heat. Do NOT drain the sausage and do NOT remove it from the pan!
Sausage doesn't yield as much fat as some other proteins, so if you find you need a little more grease, add a few tablespoons of butter or oil.
Turn the heat to medium-low and begin adding the flour and milk in increments.
Once sausage is cooked thoroughly, sprinkle in the flour.
Work in these increments: add 2 tablespoons of flour and stir; ¼ cup of milk and stir.
This process "cooks" the flour a little so it won't taste raw.
Next, add a little milk and stir; repeat the flour/milk process until you've used all the flour and milk
Repeat these steps in the same increments until you've used all the milk and flour. (2 tablespoons flour; stir; ¼ cup milk; stir)
The sausage cream gravy should be the right consistency now. If you want it thinner, add more milk; if you want it thicker, add more flour. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Use a wooden spoon and break the sausage into tiny pieces while it's cooking
Make sure there's absolutely NO visible pink coloring on the meat before you proceed
Turn the heat to medium-low and begin adding the flour and milk in alternating sequence (add 2 tablespoons of flour; stir; add ¼ milk; stir...repeat until you've used all the flour and milk)
Gravy will thicken upon cooling; if you need to reheat later, add a little milk or water. Note, you may have to adjust the salt/pepper if you do this.
Storage and reheating
Store homemade sausage cream gravy in a secure container in the fridge for up to three days.
To reheat, either place in microwave or heat on stove; note, sausage cream gravy will thicken upon refrigeration, so you may need to add a little milk or water and adjust the seasonings.
Homemade sausage gravy is a real treat ever once in a while! Serve with eggs, biscuits or on a warm piece of toast!
If you make this recipe, please scroll down and leave a rating and comment! I love to hear from you! Thank you!
Sausage Cream Gravy
- 1 pound sausage , ground
- 2½ cups milk , 2% or whole
- 6 tablespoons flour , all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons pepper , black
- Cook sausage in large skillet until it's dark brown (no pink) - do not drain or rinse!1 pound sausage
- Add 2 tablespoons of flour; stir; add ¼ cup of milk; stir6 tablespoons flour, 2½ cups milk
- Repeat process in the same measurements until all 6 tablespoons of flour and the 2½ cups of milk are gone
- Season with salt and pepper1 teaspoon salt, 1½ teaspoons pepper
- Serve immediately