This delicious dessert has the reputation of being a Southern classic tradition, particularly during the hot, balmy days of summer. This easy no bake Lemon Icebox Pie works in a pinch and is absolutely delicious!
No Bake Lemon Icebox Pie is a Southern classic that we make many times during the hot Texas summers! Light, airy, and requires little effort!
Why you'll love this recipe!
- This easy and requires no eggs and no baking!
- Great for crowds-double the recipe and make it in a 9 X 13 baking dish to serve up to 16 slices
- It's not too sweet or tangy, but just right
The lemon flavor is mild-not too tart or tangy, but just right!
Here's what you need:
Really simple ingredients:
- Cream cheese, fresh lemon juice, prepared graham cracker crust and a can of sweetened condensed milk!
- Note, the prepared graham cracker crusts usually come in 8"-inch aluminum tins.
- If you want to make a 9"-inch pie, make the graham cracker crust from scratch. Instructions for homemade crust are in the recipe card below.
Her's how to make it:
In a mixing bowl or food processor combine filling ingredients until smooth; pour into graham cracker crust and freeze; transfer to thaw in the icebox after the pie firms up a bit
Combine all ingredients until smooth and pour into graham cracker shell; freeze for 4 hours; serve immediately
- Use fresh lemon juice; not bottled or juice from Meyer Lemons
- To make lemon zest, use the smallest side of a cheese grater
- Do not over pulse in food processor - over processing breaks it down and it doesn't set up well
- You don't have to use a food processor, you can mix it by hand as well!
Can I make this in advance?
This easy no bake lemon ice box pie can easily hold its own in the freezer for up to a week, provided its covered with plastic. Allow to thaw in icebox prior to serving.
Serving suggestion for a large group
- If you want to serve this to a big group, double the graham cracker and filling recipe.
- Place the graham cracker crust in a 9 x 13 baking dish; then pour in filling. Slice into squares.
Want a whipped cream topping?
Garnish with lemon zest and homemade whipped cream
I think you'll find this easy no bake lemon icebox pie is just the right dessert to take to your next picnic or potluck! It's quick, easy and delicious!
Graham cracker crust
- If you don't want to make one, use a pre-made crust!
- If you make your own, you'll need one package of crackers for an 8" pie.
- If you double the recipe and put it in a 9 x 13 pan, use 2-3 packages of graham crackers (about 18 crackers)
Real vs. bottled lemon juice
One caveat is that you must use fresh squeezed lemon juice. The artificial or "real" juice in a jar doesn't cut it. You'll need about a ¼ cup of juice, so roughly 3-4 big lemons, plus more for garnish.
If you want to serve this soon, place covered pie in freezer. Remove and allow it to sit at room temperature a little while before you serve it.
Can I use Meyer lemons?
Meyer lemons are less acidic and sweeter than 'regular' lemons.
When the lemon is not the star of the show, it's fine to substitute with a Meyer lemon; however, in this recipe, the tang of the lemon is the star and therefore I do not recommend the substitution.
How to make lemon zest
If you don't have a citrus zester, use the smallest side of a cheese grater. This recipe calls for one tablespoon of zest, which can be produced from about two large lemons.
- No Bake Key Lime Icebox Pie
- Gelatin-Free Strawberry Sheet Cake
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- Classic Southern Pecan Pie
- Peach Cobbler
- Buttermilk Pie
- Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie
♥ If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and rating! I love to hear from you!
No Bake No Egg Lemon Icebox Pie
- 8 whole graham crackers (broken; usually in 1 pkg.)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup lemon juice (fresh squeezed (3-4 lemons, depending upon size)
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (for garnish)
Prepare Crust or Use Pre-Made
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Melt butter in small saucepan
- In food processor, combined broken pieces of graham crackers and sugar; drizzle in melted butter
- Pour graham cracker mixture into 9 inch pie plate; press graham cracker mixture into the bottom and sides of the pan
- Bake on middle rack for 12-15 minutes; remove from oven and allow to cool before filling
- In the food processor, combine all ingredients and pulse until it reaches a smooth consistency
- Scoop filling into cooled graham cracker crust; cover with plastic and freeze for 4 hours
- Prior to serving, garnish with whipped cream and lemon slices
- Allow pie to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing
- Real vs. Bottled Lemon Juice
- Can I Use Meyer Lemons for Lemon Icebox Pie?
- How Do I Make Lemon Zest?
- Can I Make a Lemon Icebox Pie in Advance?
- If serving this pie outdoors, place the pie pan in ice to keep it chilled