This Crunchy Asian Salad comes together in less than 8-minutes and is perfect as an appetizer or entree! Light, flavorful and refreshing with simple ingredients!
I first had this summer salad many years ago at a family reunion.
Of course, there was plenty of the typical Southern foods-fried chicken, macaroni and cheese and so on...but this crisp, crunchy Asian salad really got my attention! It's one of my "go-to" salads in the summer!
You'll love this recipe!
- Quick and Easy - ready in literally 8-minutes!
- Mayo-free - holds up well at picnics and outdoor parties
- Easy to make ahead - make it in advance and take it to your party as is!
- Flavorful dressing - no fancy ingredients or sesame oil
Here's what you'll need:
Iceburg lettuce, brown sugar, oil, rice wine vinegar, almonds, green onions, crunchy Chow Mein noodles
Here's how to make it:
Rough-cut or chop salad into bite sized pieces; place in large bowl with sliced water chestnuts and green onions; cover and refrigerate while the salad dressing cooks
In a small saucepan on medium heat, combine the brown sugar, rice vinegar and oil; cook until sugar dissolves;allow to cool a little before pouring over salad
Pour cooled dressing over lettuce; add water chestnuts, scallions and sunflower seeds; toss well, garnish with crunchy Chow Mein noodles and serve!
- Cut lettuce into bite-size pieces or rough-chop it
- Allow dressing to cool a little before pouring over lettuce/water chestnuts
- Add crunchy noodles last; if you add them in when you add the dressing, they get soggy
- Garnish with crunchy noodles and serve
- If you're taking this to a picnic, put the dressing in a jar and pour it over the lettuce, water chestnuts and green onions at the last minute; garnish with sunflower seeds and Chow Mein noodles and serve!
Crunchy Asian Salad is a family favorite in the summer, when it's too hot to cook. Serve as an entree or side salad with your favorite Asian dish!
Crunchy Asian Salad
- 1 head iceburg lettuce large
- 2 green onions
- ⅓ cup brown sugar packed
- ⅓ cup rice wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup oil , vegetable, canola or olive oil
- 8 ounce water chestnuts , sliced and canned
- sunflower seeds ,dry roasted and salted
- Chow Mein noodles , as garnish
- salt to taste
- In a small saucepan on medium low heat, add brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, oil and a pinch of salt; cook until sugar is dissolved; set aside to cool
- Rough cut lettuce into bite sized pieces; place in bowl
- Drain water chestnuts; add to lettuce
- Add chopped green onion to lettuce
- Cover lettuce with plastic and refrigerate
- When ready to serve, pour dressing over lettuce mixture; combine well
- Plate and sprinkle with sunflower seeds and crunchy noodles
- Use crushed peanuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans
- Use chopped celery, green bell pepper
- Use apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
♥ If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below! Thank you!