This Crunchy Asian Salad comes together in less than 8-minutes and is great as an appetizer or entree!
It's perfect for summer picnics or outdoor dining because the make-from-scratch dressing contains no mayonnaise!
Light, flavorful and refreshing with simple ingredients and no additives, preservatives or yucky stuff!
I first had this summer salad many years ago at a family reunion.
It's one of my "go-to" salads in the summer and it's a great picnic summer salad because it has no mayonnaise!
You'll love this recipe!
- Quick and Easy - ready in literally 8-minutes!
- Great for picnics and outdoor parties - no mayo salad dressing
- Easy to make ahead - make it in advance and take it to your party as is!
- Flavorful dressing - no fancy ingredients and no sesame oil
One large head of iceberg lettuce yields about 4 cups of chopped salad. The dressing recipe makes about 1 cup.
Here's what you'll need:
Iceberg lettuce, brown sugar, oil, rice wine vinegar, green onions, dry roasted and salted sunflower seeds, crunchy Chow Mein noodles. I use La Choy™ crunchy chow mein noodles, but you can use any brand you prefer.
Here's how to make it:
Rough-cut or chop salad into bite sized pieces; place in large bowl with sliced water chestnuts and green onions; cover and refrigerate while the salad dressing cooks
In a small saucepan on medium heat, combine the brown sugar, rice vinegar and oil; cook until sugar dissolves;allow to cool a little before pouring over salad
Pour cooled dressing over lettuce; add water chestnuts, scallions and sunflower seeds; toss well, garnish with crunchy Chow Mein noodles and serve!
The light, sweet and tangy salad dressing is what really gives this crunchy Asian salad it's personality! The sweet and tang flavors pair well with the green onions, water chestnuts and salty sunflower seeds!
- Cut lettuce into bite-size pieces or rough-chop it
- Allow dressing to cool a little before pouring over lettuce/water chestnuts
- Add crunchy noodles and sunflower seeds last; if you add them in when you add the dressing, they get soggy
- If you're taking this to a picnic, put the dressing in a jar and pour it over the lettuce, water chestnuts and green onions at the last minute; garnish with sunflower seeds and Chow Mein noodles and serve!
- Serve with slotted spoon or tongs
Crunchy Asian Salad is a family favorite in the summer, when it's too hot to cook. Serve as an entree or side salad with your favorite Asian dish!
Crunchy Asian Salad (No Mayo Dressing)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce large
- 2 green onions , chopped
- 8 ounces water chestnuts , sliced and canned
- 1 can Chow Mein noodles , large can or 2-3 small cans
- sunflower seeds ,dry roasted and salted
- salt and pepper , to taste
- ⅓ cup brown sugar packed
- ⅓ cup rice wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup oil , vegetable, canola or olive oil
- In a small saucepan on medium low heat, add brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, oil and a pinch of salt; cook until sugar is dissolved; set aside to cool
- Rough cut lettuce into bite sized pieces; place in bowl1 head iceberg lettuce
- Drain water chestnuts; add to lettuce (you can slice them in half if you prefer)
- Add chopped green onion to lettuce
- Cover lettuce with plastic and refrigerate
- When ready to serve, pour dressing over lettuce mixture; combine well; season with salt and pepper
- Plate and sprinkle with sunflower seeds and crunchy Chow Mein noodles
- Use crushed peanuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans
- Use chopped celery, green bell pepper
- Use apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
♥ If you make this recipe, please scroll down and leave a comment and rating below! Thank you!