A Puff Pastry Hand Pie is perfect when you're craving a little something sweet, but don't want to eat a whole pie! This recipe is quick and easy, and ready in about 15-minutes!
Choose whatever fruit filling you like-this recipe features an organic apple pie filling!
Why you'll love this recipe!
- Quick and Easy to assemble and bake--in fact, they only need to cook about 15 minutes
- Versatile - use any pie filling you like-cherry, apple or pear-the result is absolutely delicious!
- Big or small - make puff pastry hand pies any size you want! Bit size morsels or full size...your call!
Here's what you'll need:
5 - simple ingredients: Fruit filling, puff pastry sheets, egg, water, salt
I happened to find a can of apple pie filling with no high fructose corn syrup or added ingredients. The result was delicious, especially after drizzling salted caramel sauce over these mini pies.
How to make it:
- Roll out the puff pastry dough onto a lightly floured surface, then cut it into sections. Think about how you want the finished product to look--do you want triangular-shaped pies? Round pies? It's really up to you.
- Add a dollop of pie filling to pastry bottom; add pastry top; crimp edges, apply egg wash and bake
I cut out circles (four per sheet of puff pastry) and placed the filling on two. Use the other two pastry discs for the top; crimp edges together with a fork; apply egg wash and bake!
I did not cut slits into the pastry dough (on the top); however, you can do this if you want a more uniform look. Each of the apple hand pies I baked looked different and well....quite "rustic."
How to make Salted Caramel Sauce
- Pour a 14 oz. package of Salted caramel chips into a double boiler on medium low heat
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter, ½ cup of heavy cream and cook until the caramel chip-mixture melts and the sauce consistency is smooth
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over the puff pastry apple hand pies, sprinkle a little kosher salt over the pastries and enjoy!
Storage and reheating:
Store puff pastry hand pies in a secure container in the fridge for up to a week. To reheat, place in microwave for 10-15 seconds (temperatures and times vary.)
Puff Pastry Fruit Hand Pie with Salted Caramel Glaze
Pastry and Filling Ingredients
- 1 pkg. Puff Pastry dough ,Pepperidge Farm; pkg. contains 2 pastry sheets; each sheet yields 2-4 hand pies, depending upon how you form them
- 3 tablespoons flour , to sprinkle on hard surface to roll out pastry dough
- 20 ounces fruit pie filling
Caramel Sauce Ingredients
- 14 ounces salted caramel baking chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- kosher salt for garnish
- 1 whole egg (combine egg and water; stir well)
- 1 teaspoon water
- Thaw pastry dough to room temperature
- Preheat oven to 400ºF; line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Sprinkle flour on hard surface; unroll pastry dough
- Cut dough into triangles or rounds
- Place one heaping spoonful of fruit filling onto pastry round
- Top filled pastry round with another piece of the dough
- Using a fork, crimp top and bottom pastry edges together
- Brush egg wash over filled pastries
- Bake 15 minutes
Salted Caramel Sauce Instructions
- Set up a double boiler with two saucepans (one saucepan should fit into the other)
- Fill largest pan half way with water
- Place smaller saucepan in large pan with water
- Add baking chips, butter and cream to smaller pan
- Allow to cook on medium low heat until baking chips are melted and consistency is smooth
- Drizzle caramel sauce over baked hand pies
- Garnish with kosher salt
- To form the hand pies, roll out pastry dough on lightly floured surface
- Cut dough into 8 circles
- Use 4 circles for the base; 4 circles for the top of the pie