This flavorful Spinach Feta Pie recipe is a spin-off of the traditional Greek dish "Spanakopita"--only much easier to make!
Use frozen spinach and pre-made puff pastry, along with a few other ingredients and serve as a side dish with chicken, lamb or beef. Ready in 30-minutes!
This is a perfect dish for brunch or a light dinner!
What is Spanakopita?
Spanakopita is a traditional Greek, or Mediterranean dish made of spinach, feta cheese and seasonings, baked in phyllo dough.
It's often served in little triangles as an appetizer, or served as a side dish with other Greek-inspired dishes like lamb, dolmas, pita and Tzatziki, a Greek yogurt dip.
This recipe is similar to Spanakopita, only it uses puff pastry instead of phyllo dough.
Why you'll love this recipe!
- Affordable - Feta, frozen spinach and puff-pastry are relatively inexpensive
- Easy ingredients - some variations use ricotta or cottage cheese as an additional binding agent; this dish uses cream cheese
- Easy to make - no fooling with delicate phyllo dough, just use a pre-made puff pastry and you're done!
This pie is sort of like a quiche, but the spinach and feta are the featured ingredients--not eggs. Even if you're not wild about spinach, you'll love this Mediterranean pie!
Here's what you'll need!
Here's how to make it:
Rinse and drain the spinach
Then add the top crust
I used a 10"inch skillet and this yielded 8 nice, fluffy slices; if you use a bigger skillet, you may want to add ½ of each ingredient...for instance, add another ½ bag of spinach, and additional ½ block of cream cheese, an extra egg...and so on.
Bring cream cheese to room temperature (note: the picture above shows two blocks...but you only need one for this recipe)
You'll use two of the eggs in the recipe; the third is for an egg wash to go over the puff pastry crust and top
Saute the onion while the crust is baking; this makes the recipe go much faster
Allow pie to rest about 10-15 minutes before serving
Use a serrated knife for slicing
Do I cook the spinach first?
No. Simply thaw frozen spinach and drain it well. Squeeze the spinach in a dishcloth many times to ensure all the moisture is out.
Can I use fresh spinach?
You can, but it's a hassle. Fresh spinach cooks down a lot...frozen is easier and tastes just as good! (One pound of fresh spinach cooks down to yield about 1 ½ cups... this recipe uses about 3 cups of frozen, so you'd need to cook about 30 ounces of fresh.)
Storage and reheating:
Keep the pie covered in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, use the microwave or heat in the oven, uncovered, at 250ºF for about 15-20 minutes (until the spinach filling is warm.)
Spinach Feta pie is delicious any time! Consider serving a slice at breakfast with a side of eggs or at lunch with a fresh garden salad! The savory flavor also pairs well with Chicken Piccata!
If you make this recipe, please scroll down and leave a comment and rating! Thank you!
Spinach Feta Pie (Spanakopita Pie)
- 1 package puff pastry (most have 2 sheets of pastry in them); thaw pastry
- 24 ounces spinach frozen, cut leaf or chopped, drained
- ¾ cup onion chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temp
- 8 ounces Feta cheese crumbled
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 whole eggs for filling
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon dill weed dried
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 whole egg , for egg wash
- 1 teaspoon water , for egg wash
- spray oil
- Thaw pastry and bring cream cheese to room temp1 package puff pastry, 8 ounces cream cheese
- Rinse and drain frozen spinach; squeeze moisture out by placing spinach in a dish towel; set aside24 ounces spinach
- Make the egg wash: beat one whole egg with 1 teaspoon of water; set aside1 whole egg, 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- Chop onions; set aside¾ cup onion
- Lightly oil 10"inch skillet; set asidespray oil
Make the Pie
- Place one puff pastry sheet in skillet; crimp edges; brush lightly with egg wash; bake 20-minutes or until golden brown1 package puff pastry, 1 whole egg, 1 teaspoon water
- Saute onions in butter until translucent; set aside2 tablespoons butter, ¾ cup onion
- In a small bowl, lightly beat two eggs; set aside2 whole eggs
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, sauteed onions, eggs, Feta and Parmesan Cheeses, dill weed and garlic powder; combine well24 ounces spinach, ¾ cup onion, 8 ounces Feta cheese, ½ cup Parmesan cheese, 2 whole eggs, ½ teaspoon dill weed, ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Remove puff pastry crust from oven; poke it with a knife a few times to deflate it; let it sit for a few minutes
- Scoop spinach mixture onto pastry crust
- Place second sheet of pastry on top of spinach mixture; lightly brush with egg wash1 package puff pastry
- Bake at 400ºF uncovered for 15-minutes, or until top crust is light golden brown
- Allow pie to rest for about 10 minutes; slice with serrated knife and serve
- I used a 10"inch skillet and this yielded 8 nice, fluffy slices; if you use a bigger skillet, add ½ of each ingredient...for instance, add another ½ bag of spinach, ⅓ cup of onion, ¼ teaspoon each of dill and garlic, ¼ cup of parmesan, additional ½ block of cream cheese, and one extra egg for the spinach mix.
- For a pretty presentation, use a serrated knife to slice