Warmer weather calls for quick and easy recipes and this Cold Shrimp Salad is light and delicious as a salad or sandwich. Tender, seasoned fresh Gulf shrimp in a flavorful dressing with a hint of citrus and dill.
- Shrimp and Crab Boil
- Dried Dill
- Red Onion
- Lime Juice
- Cook the shrimp (with shells and tails on) for five minutes in a pot of water with Shrimp and Crab boil seasonings
- When the shrimp are cooled enough, remove shells and tails; devein; chop shrimp into small pieces; set aside
- Finely dice red onion and celery
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, dill, diced onion and celery and chopped shrimp
- Cover and chill for 15-20 minutes
- Taste for salt/pepper seasonings and adjust accordingly
What size of shrimp should I use?
Shrimp is sold by the count per pound and is labeled at 16/20 or 20/24. In this case, the size of shrimp doesn't matter because it's finely chopped. If you want to serve the salad with whole shrimp, either 16/20 or 20/24 work well because both are usually about a two-bite shrimp.
How to boil shrimp
In a large stockpot, add the package of shrimp/crab boil seasonings. Do not open the packet--put it in whole. Then, bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat to medium high and add the shrimp; once the shrimp turn pink, usually in about 5-8 minutes, drain them. Do not rinse the shrimp after draining.
A pound of shrimp usually takes about 5-8 minutes. The color of the shells and tails should be a light pinkish-orange hue.
How to peel and devein shrimp
The easiest way to peel shrimp is to remove the legs first, then roll the shell back and slide the tail off. To devein shrimp, simply use a sharp knife and score a cut along the back of the shrimp; remove and discard the brown or black part of the shrimp.
Using fresh or dried dill
This shrimp salad recipe calls for 1 1/2 tablespoons of dried dill; however, if you use fresh dill increase the amount X 3, so use 4.5 tablespoons of fresh dill. Recall, dried herbs are stronger than fresh and the ratio of dried to fresh is 1:3.
Craving More? Try Caesar Salad or Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
Cold Shrimp Salad
- 1 package Shrimp and Crab Boil
- 1 lb. fresh shrimp
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onion finely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons dried dill see recipe notes if using fresh
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice (use more if you like it really tangy)
How to Cook the Shrimp
- In a large stockpot, add one package of shrimp/crab boil seasoning and fill pot with water
- Bring to boil
- Once water is boiling, reduce heat to medium high, add shrimp with shell and tail on
- When shrimp are light pinkish-orange they are done; remove and drain
- Peel and devein shrimp; chop finely and set aside
Make the Dressing
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, chopped celery, red onion, dill and lime juice; combine well
- Add the chopped shrimp; coat shrimp well; cover and chill for 15 minutes
- Taste for salt and pepper after the salad has chilled in the refrigerator; adjust seasonings accordingly