This No-Bake Coconut Cream Pie is absolutely divine- made with all-natural ingredients with no custard or pudding mix.
The coconut cream custard filling is the perfect texture with just enough sweetness--but not too sweet! Top with homemade whipped cream or meringue!
If you've never made a homemade coconut cream pie before, you're gonna be amazed how easy it is!
What you'll need
- This pie uses simple ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen! Flour, milk, eggs, sugar, butter, cream of tartar, vanilla extract and shredded coconut flakes.
- Use a prepared pie dough (those roll-out ones Pillsbury™ makes) and a 9"- inch pie dish.
- You do have to blind bake the shell at a 375ºF oven for 13-15 minutes, but that's it! Turn the oven off!
How to blind bake crust
Blind baking a pie shell keeps the bottom from puffing up. Place the prepared pie crust out on the counter to soften a little.
Roll it out, lightly flour both sides and place an an ungreased 9" inch pie pan (if the dough cracks when you unroll it, put a little water on your fingers and pinch the dough back together.)
Place a piece of parchment paper on crust, then add about a cup of dried beans; bake shell, then remove the parchment and beans. Bake at 375ºF for 13 - 15 minutes; remove from oven and set aside
How to make the custard filling
- I recommend you use a wooden spoon to stir the filling - be sure to scrape the bottom of the saucepan with the spoon in order to prevent the custard from burning.
- In a medium saucepan on medium-high heat, combine sugar, flour, cornstarch; add milk and cook till bubbly; once the mixture is thick, temper egg yolks with a little of the hot custard filling, then add eggs to saucepan; cook till bubbly, stir in butter, vanilla extract and coconut, then pour into baked shell.
Tips for creamy coconut pie filling
- Use a wooden spoon to stir constantly and be sure to scrape the bottom of the saucepan
- Remember to temper the egg yolks, otherwise you'll have scrambled eggs in your pie - yuck!
- Watch your heat! Cornstarch thickens at higher temperatures, but it can burn easily!
- If you find your stove is too hot, pull the pan off the heat and continue stirring
- If you get a few brown pieces in the custard, don't worry, you can remove them later; however if you smell a burning smell, you'll have to start over. Burnt custard is not pleasant.
- Refrigerate the coconut pie and allow it to cool before serving - this lets the custard firm a little and results in a "pretty" slice of pie
How to make whipped cream
Homemade whipped cream is easy to make and takes about 7 -8 minutes to whisk the vanilla extract, sugar and cream into a puff of delight!
Whisk ingredients for 7-minutes (until stiff peaks form) then apply to Coconut Cream Pie.
You can make the this ahead of time and refrigerate it until ready to serve!
How to make meringue topping
You need super clean utensils and room temperature egg whites. Make sure there's no oil or soap residue in your mixing bowl and check to make sure there's no egg shells in the egg whites. The presence of ANY of these will deter the whites from forming a foam.
Use a super clean metal or glass mixing bowl and a wire whisk (I recommend a stand or hand mixer); beat room temperature eggs on medium-high speed, until white and frothy; add cream of tarter, a pinch of salt and vanilla.
As mixture increases in size, begin to add the sugar in small increments and whisk on high speed. Continue whisking until firm, stiff peaks form.
Apply to coconut cream pie, bake at 400°F degrees on middle rack for 11-16 minutes, rotating frequently.
How to toast coconut for No-Bake Coconut Cream Pie
This No-Bake Coconut Cream pie looks pretty when sprinkled with toasted coconut. The process of toasting coconut takes about 3 minutes.
- Start with a large dry skillet (aluminum or non-stick; not cast-iron)
- Set the stove temperature to around medium
- Place the shredded coconut in a flat layer on the skillet
- Allow the coconut to cook (you'll hear it "sizzle")
- Using a spatula, move the coconut flakes around the skillet to keep them from burning
- Once coconut is toasted (you'll smell it), yank the skillet off the stove and immediately put the toasted coconut on a plate to cool
If you're craving more Southern Sweets, try making a Southern Pecan Pie!
More pie recpes
- Southern Pecan Pie
- Orange Creamsicle Icebox Pie
- No Bake No Egg Lemon Icebox Pie
- Salted Caramel Cheesecake
- Classic Buttermilk Pie
If you make this recipe, please scroll down and leave a comment and rating! I love to hear from you!
Coconut Cream Pie
- stand or hand mixer if you're making a whipped cream or meringue topping
Pie crust and filling Ingredients
- 1 cup sugar , granulated
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch (¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- ¼ teaspoon salt , table salt
- 3 cups milk , 2% or whole
- 5 large eggs , separated
- 3 tablespoons butter , unsalted
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups coconut plus more for garnish
- 1 9"-inch pie crust (the kind you roll-out; Pillsbury makes them 2 to a box)
- handful of flour to flour the pie dough
Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar granulated or powdered (See Recipe Notes: Sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Meringue Topping Ingredients
- 5 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 10 tablespoons sugar (½ cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- Set prepared, roll-out pie crust on the counter and lightly coat both sides with flour; place in 9" inch ungreased pie pan1 9"-inch pie crust
- Place a piece of parchment paper over bottom of crust and add 1 cup of dried beans (this is called "blind baking" a pie crust). Bake on middle rack 375ºF for 13 - 15 minutes or until lightly golden; set aside (remove parchment and beans)
- Separate 5 eggs; reserve yolks and whites; beat yolks lightly with a fork; set aside5 large eggs
- Place metal mixing bowl and metal whisk (or beaters) in freezer (this is for the Whipped Cream if you want a whipped cream topping)
Make the Pie Filling
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk; cook on medium high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture thickens and bubbles; when bubbly, remove from heat1 cup sugar, 6 tablespoons cornstarch, ¼ teaspoon salt, 3 cups milk
- Add 1 cup of the hot filling mixture to lightly beaten egg yolks in increments of 1 -2 tablespoons (this "tempers" the eggs so they won't scramble when added to the hot mixture); combine well and add to saucepan; return to heat and continue cooking at a gentle boil for 2 minutes
- Add butter and vanilla extract; add coconut, stir well, then pour hot mixture into baked pie crust3 tablespoons butter, 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract, 1¼ cups coconut
- Place a piece of plastic directly on the pie filling and make the whipping cream or meringue.
Make Whipped Cream
- Remove metal bowl and metal whisk (or beaters) from freezer
- Add sugar, vanilla extract and heavy cream to bowl1 cup heavy cream, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together until the mixture forms stiff peaks; spready whipped cream over pie filling
- Add room temperature egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla extract and salt to clean mixing bowl; whisk on high until frothy with either stand mixer or hand mixer5 egg whites, ½ teaspoon cream of tartar, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, pinch of salt
- Once mixture is frothy, turn mixer to high speed and gradually add sugar; whisk until glossy stiff peaks form; do not over mix or the meringue will be dull and grainy10 tablespoons sugar
- Apply meringue to outer perimeter of pie first; make sure the merignue is touching the edge of the pie crust (this prevents the meringue from separating or weeping)
- Use the back of a spoon to create peaks on the meringue
- Place in 400° degree oven on middle rack for 11-15 minutes; rotate pie for even browning of meringue
- Remove from oven and allow to rest until cool; for best results, refrigerate pie before serving (it slices prettier if it's slightly cool)
Toast Coconut for Garnish
- Put one cup of coconut in a dry skillet; heat skillet to medium
- Allow coconut to toast in skillet; continually stir the coconut so it does not burn
- Pour toasted coconut onto plate and allow to cool
- Sprinkle over whipped cream topping or meringue prior to serving