Make this sweet Southern side dish with frozen, fresh or canned corn kernels and have it on the table in less than 30-minutes!
We Southerners just love our creamy side dishes and this one is fail-proof and delicious every time! It pairs well with just about everything from smoked barbecue to Easter ham!
Why you'll love this recipe!
- Affordable - you can make a big "company" size batch for your next potluck without breaking the bank
- Quick and Easy - one pan cook and clean-up! This dish comes together in less than 30-minutes!
- Flavorful - creamed corn recipe has a nice touch of sweetness but isn't too sweet
- A family favorite--kids love this!
What you'll need:
A few basic ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen to make delicious "creamed" corn. (Ugh...I forgot to put a little sugar in the picture below...)
How to make it:
You'll need about 4 cups (32 ounces) which yields 8 ½ cup (4 ounce) servings.
Prep the corn first:
- Frozen - rinse in colander and drain
- Canned corn - drain
- Fresh - slice the kernels off the cob; rinse and drain
Melt butter in a skillet; add flour and combine; add heavy cream; add corn; bring to boil (uncovered) for 5-8 minutes; add sugar; continue to cook on high for another 5 minutes; taste for salt; serve
Make this easy corn dish for any ethnic cuisine!
- Mexican/Southwestern - add in diced green chiles and/or chopped jalapeno; season with ground cumin, coriander and chile powder
- Italian - add in drained and diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
- Mediterranean - add chopped garlic, chopped kalamata olives and dill
Store homemade cream style corn the refrigerator up to three days or in the freezer up to 3 months
Creamed corn may thicken after being stored in the fridge or freezer. Reheat on stove top or microwave; if it's too thick, stir in a little water.
What type of corn?
Unfortunately, corn is one of the most genetically modified foods in our food supply. For this reason, I recommend you use Certified Organic - either frozen, fresh or canned.
Homemade Cream Style Corn
- 4 cups corn kernels , frozen, fresh or canned; rinsed and drained
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper , to taste
- Prep corn: rinse and drain
- In a large skillet on medium high heat, melt butter
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk; stir in heavy cream and continue to whisk
- Add corn; bring to boil; stirring frequently
- Stir in sugar; combine well
- Allow to cook for 10-minutes, stirring frequently; taste for salt and pepper
- Use salted or unsalted butter; don't add salt until the very end after you taste it
- Corn may thicken when stored in fridge
- Reheat on stove top or in microwave; if it's too thick, stir in a little water
♥ If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below! Thank you!