Nothing screams "Spring" more than delicious Orange Glazed Carrots! Feature these healthy root vegetables at your Easter table or on your weeknight dinner table.
Why you'll love this recipe!
- Quick and easy - ready in minutes
- All-natural ingredients - no additives, preservatives or yucky stuff
- Deliciously flavorful and light-adds a hint of orange, which pairs beautifully with carrots
The orange glaze is ready in 5-minutes, so while you're cooking your carrots, make the sauce!
This glaze has a mild flavor designed to accent the natural sweetness of the carrot and in order to let the flavor of the carrot shine-through. Organic is the only way to go in my opinion.
Here's what you'll need:
I think I'm a carrot snob. I find "baby" and conventional (non-organic) carrots very bland, therefore, I highly recommend organic for this recipe.
Cornstarch is the thickening agent which provides a nice, translucent sheen to this smooth sauce. Use this glaze on roasted or steamed carrots; just drizzle the sauce over them and serve!
How to cook carrots
There's a few ways to cook these delicious root vegetables. Steam, boil or roast...whichever method you use, you'll want to cook them until their slightly fork-tender, yet still a bit firm.
Steaming vegetables is the preferred method for retaining nutrients and vibrant color. Use a steamer basket or, if you don't have one, place an aluminum colander over a large pot of boiling water.
(Don't use a plastic colander; they often melt over the high heat and produce a gas that offsets the flavor of the vegetable.)
The amount of water you need depends upon the size of the saucepan. I use a 1.5 quart saucepan and add 1 ½ cups of water.
- Peel and slice carrots
- Add water to large stockpot; place steamer in pot; add water and bring water to hard boil
- Place sliced carrots on steam basket
- Cover and cook for 8-12 minutes, or until fork-tender
If your saucepan lid doesn't completely cover the pan and steamer, just place it over the steamer (the lid doesn't have to fit perfectly; you just want to trap some of the steam from the boiling water.)
Keep an eye on the water level and replenish if needed. While the carrots are steaming, prepare the sauce.
- Place 8 cups of tap water and 3 tablespoons of table salt into large pot and bring to boil
- Add carrots
- Cook for 5-minutes; test for doneness
- Drain and serve with orange glaze
- Preheat oven to 375ºF
- Place cleaned, peeled carrots on lightly oiled baking sheet
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until fork-tender
- Remove from oven and serve with orange glaze
How to make the glaze
Melt the butter in a saucepan and add orange juice
Sprinkle in the cornstarch and whisk; add sugar and continue to stir until glaze thickens (about 5-minutes)
Drizzle over vegetables and serve
Fresh or prepared orange juice?
You can use fresh squeezed or prepared juice for this recipe, but note that if you use fresh squeezed, the texture will not be silky smooth due to the pulp.
Use pre-made, pulp-free--or make your own from frozen concentrate. I recommend prepared OJ for the best results.
Make ahead glaze
This glaze or sauce can be made in advance. Just pour it into a glass jar and allow to cool; then replace the lid and refrigerate up to 3 days.
When you're ready to serve, reheat the sauce on the stovetop; use a whisk to combine. You may have to add a little water, as the sauce tends to thicken in the fridge.
Don't overcook the glaze
As soon as the sauce thickens, remove it from the heat. Prolonged heat breaks down the cornstarch's thickening properties.
Pin It For Later!
Serve these delicious orange veggies with:
- Meatloaf and Parmesan Peppered Peas
- Salisbury Steak
- Chicken Fried Steak
- Southern Fried Catfish
- Sausage Crepes
- Southern Cream Style Corn
If you make this recipe, please scroll down and leave a comment and rating! I love to hear from you! Thank you!
Orange Glazed Carrots
- Wire whisk
- Steamer basket
- 1 lb organic carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 stick butter unsalted
- 1⅔ cup prepared orange juice
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of salt to taste
Prepare the Carrots- Steaming Method
- In a large stockpot, add 7-8 cups of water; place steamer basket in stockpot; bring water to boil
- Add sliced carrots to steam basket; cover and cook 8-12 minutes or until carrots are fork-tender
Prepare the Orange Glaze
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, melt butter
- Add orange juice; whisk (start with one cup of OJ and taste; add remainder if you want more orange flavor)
- Sprinkle in cornstarch and sugar; whisk until smooth
- Cook on medium high heat, stirring constantly until sauce begins to thicken; remove and drizzle over cooked carrots
- Drizzle orange glaze over carrots; garnish with parsley and/or orange zest
- You can use flour instead of cornstarch, just double the amount of flour. Example: 1 tablespoon of cornstarch = 2 tablespoons flour.
- If you use flour, the sauce will turn opaque; it won't be translucent.
- The nutritional value is for the total recipe: 1 pound of carrots and 1 cup of sauce