Cheddar Cheese Wafers are a Southern Tradition, usually served as a holiday appetizer or at wedding showers or baby showers. These delicious cheese crackers pair beautifully with sweet and savory. They're also a nice addition to brunch!
Cheddar cheese wafers are a bit like a shortbread, in that they do not contain eggs. The texture is light and flaky like cheese straws, but I find the wafer shape is easier to make.
I usually make these during the holidays and serve with sausage balls - it's a great savory combination!
Here's what you'll need
The ingredients for these tasty cheddar cheese wafers are simple! In fact, you probably have all the ingredients in your kitchen right now! Here's what you'll need:
- Flour - all-purpose
- Butter -unsalted is recommeded
- Cheddar Cheese (use block cheese; grate in food processor)- I use sharp cheddar cheese
- Cayenne Pepper - optional
- Water-just a smidgen
This cheddar cheese wafer recipe calls for only ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper. The heat from the cayenne isn't too bold, but if you aren't a fan of a little spicy heat, start with just a pinch of cayenne.
Here's how to make it
The process for making cheddar cheese wafers is pretty easy, but you will need a food processor for best results. This recipe makes about 40 2"inch cheese wafers, but again, it depends upon the size of cookie cutter or pastry cutter you use.
- Cut butter into tiny pieces and bring to room temperature
- Shred cheese; set aside in separate bowl
- In food processor, combine flour, butter, salt, cayenne, paprika and a little water
- Gradually add shredded cheese to flour mixture; pulsing in between handfuls; drizzle in remaining water once mixture is well combined
- Once combined, roll it out onto a lightly floured surface
- Form a ball and using a rolling pin, flatten dough to about ¼" inch thick
- Use a 2" inch pastry round to cut out circles; place them on an oiled, parment lined baking sheet
- Bake 13-20 minutes on 375°F on the middle rack
- Once nice and golden brown; transfer to a wire rack to cool
If you use all of the water (4 tablespoons), the wafer will be a little chewy; if you use only half of the water (2 tablespoons), they will be more crunchy.
Expect the cheese dough mixture to be a bit grainy. The heat from your hands will help the dough soften and help you form the cheese wafer dough into a ball
Remember, these are homemade holiday appetizers and aren't meant to look like designer- gourmet-store-bought-appetizers.
These easy holiday wafers are done when the tops are no longer soft; some ovens, that is 15 minutes, others...18-20 minutes.
If you have a cookie press, you can make pretty designs by using a star-shaped pastry tip!
Store cheddar cheese wafers in an airtight container (I put my leftovers in a zipper lock bag) in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Freezing is not recommended.
I love to serve these with a cup of Southern Tomato (non-alcoholic) Aperitif, especially on a cold day! Or, set them alongside your brunch casserole, Brioche French toast or Migas! You can even include them on your holiday cheeseboard!
These homemade cheddar cheese wafers are easy to make and they're the perfect savory appetizer for your next family gathering or cocktail party!
- Sausage Balls
- Spinach Balls
- Hickory Almond Stuffed Dates
- Southern Cornbread Stuffing
- Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce
- Homemade Marshmallows
- Eggnog Pound Cake
- Orange Olive Oil Cake
- Louisiana Crab Puffs
- Jalapeno Cheese Fudge
If you make this recipe, please scroll down and leave a rating and comment. I love to hear from you! Thank you!
Cheddar Cheese Wafers
- Food Processor
- spray oil, for baking pan
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour , plus a little more for rolling out dough
- 1 stick unsalted butter , room temperature
- 1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
- ½ teaspoon salt , kosher
- ¼ teaspoon paprika ,smoked
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- ¼ cup water (SEE RECIPE NOTES BELOW) , divided; 2 tablespoons for the dry ingredients; 2 tablespoons go into the cheese mixture
- Preheat oven to 375ºF
- Take butter out of fridge, cut into smaller pieces, and allow to come to room temperature1 stick unsalted butter
- Line baking pan with parchment and lightly spray oil on parchment paper; set asidespray oil, for baking pan
- Shred cheese in food processor; pour into separate bowl; set aside1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese
Make the Cheddar Wafers
- In the food processor, add flour, butter, half of the water, salt, paprika and cayenne (optional); pulse 2-3 times1½ cups all-purpose flour, 1 stick unsalted butter, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Add shredded cheddar to flour mixture; a few handfuls at a time; once all of the cheese is incorporated, drizzle in remaining water while food processor is on the pulse setting¼ cup water (SEE RECIPE NOTES BELOW)
- Lightly flour a clean surface and turn dough out; form a large ball
- Roll the dough out until it is ¼"-inch thick
- Use a cookie cutter or pastry ring and cut out 2 - 2½" circles; crimp edges with fork (optional)
- Place wafers on lightly oiled parchment paper in a 375°F on the middle rack; bake 13-17 minutes until light golden brown; once done, transfer to a wire cooling rack
- Allow to rest a bit prior to serving