Cheddar Wafers are a Southern Tradition, usually served during the holidays or at wedding and baby showers.
Cheddar wafers are a bit like a shortbread, in that they do not contain eggs. They’re relatively easy to make but the dough can be tricky.
Once you’ve combined all the ingredients, the dough will be grainy and that’s okay. You’ll want to form a cylinder or ball with the dough and leave it wrapped in plastic at room temperature for about 30 minutes. This is the secret to the wafer dough.
If you have a cookie press, you can make pretty designs by using a star-shaped pastry tip, or make cheese “straws”–elongated, twisty sticks of the cheese wafer. No matter how you design them, your guests will thank you for making this savory treat!
Cheddar wafers are also delicious with a cup of Southern Tomato (non-alcoholic) Aperitif, especially on a cold day!
Delicately flavorful cheese wafers with a pinch of heat.
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 stick butter unsalted, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika smoked
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese grated
Preheat oven to 375ºF
Take butter out of fridge, cut into smaller pieces, and allow to come to room temperature
Shred cheese either by hand or in food processor
In the food processor, add flour, cayenne, salt and paprika
Add butter to flour mixture and pulse
Add shredded cheddar to flour mixture; a few handfuls at a time
Roll dough out onto wax paper; cover and allow to sit for 30 minutes
Once dough is at room temperature, pull off some dough, form a ball and flatten ball (these can be as big or small as you like)
Place formed wafers onto parchment paper
Bake 13-15 minutes until browned
Allow to rest a bit prior to serving
- The dough will be grainy after you've combined everything; don't worry, just form a cylinder or ball with the dough, wrap it in plastic wrap and allow it to warm up a bit on the counter--about 30 minutes
- Once the dough has warmed, you can either pipe it through a cookie press (to make "straws") or just form balls and flatten them for wavers