This coleslaw has a little kick to it, but not too much! Make this Creamy Creole Coleslaw as mild or spicy as you like! It goes perfectly with fried catfish, barbecue, chicken wings or as a side to your favorite sandwich! Ready in 30-minutes!
Why you'll love this recipe!
- 5-Minute Prep - chop The Holy Trinity (onion, celery and bell pepper); whisk together the dressing and you're done!
- Versatile - Creole coleslaw is a great side dish for a Pastrami sandwich, fried catfish, ribs or barbecue
- Healthier side dish-shredded cabbage is a nice alternative to potatoes or potato chips, especially if you're watching your carb intake
Here's what you'll need:
A 14 ounce bag of coleslaw mix (avoid mixes with red cabbage; carrots are ok), onion, celery, bell pepper, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, Creole Seasoning, Louisiana hot sauce (or a similar red pepper sauce) and cayenne pepper.
I use Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, but there are others out there that have the same properties. Any of these Creole seasonings are fine.
How to make it:
- Chop The Holy Trinity (onion, celery, bell pepper) into fine pieces
- Combine The Holy Trinity with the shredded coleslaw mix in a large bowl
- Mix the dressing together in a separate bowl
- Pour the Creole dressing over slaw; stir; cover; refrigerate for at least 30-minutes (stir occasionally)
- Remove from fridge; taste for salt; stir and serve using a slotted spoon
This recipe uses HALF of a 14-ounce pre-shredded coleslaw mix, usually found in the produce section, and makes enough for about 4-6 size servings (each serving about ¼ - ½ cup)
If you're serving a large group, double the recipe and use the whole bag of coleslaw
Try not to get a coleslaw mix with red cabbage in it. It turns the dressing "pink" after its marinated...very unappealing...carrots are okay in the mix!
If you're shredding your own cabbage head, use a medium sized head and double the dressing; don't pour all of the dressing on the slaw...just a little at a time, until it's coated; you can always add more, but you don't want it to get too runny
Don't add salt until after the creole coleslaw has marinated in the fridge - the Creole seasoning has salt in it and after it marinades, the salt distributes...
Before serving, stir it up then use a slotted spoon to serve
- Southern Fried Catfish
- The Best Hot Pastrami Sandwich
- Foolproof Oven Baked Ribs
- Homemade Sloppy Joe Recipe
- Copper Penny Carrot Slaw
If you make this recipe, please scroll down and leave a rating and comment! I love to hear from you! Thank you!
Creamy Creole Coleslaw
- 7 ounces shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup bell pepper finely chopped
- ¼ cup celery finely chopped
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce red pepper sauce (Louisiana Hot Sauce)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- Place shredded cabbage in large mixing bowl; add chopped onion, celery and bell pepper; set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, creole seasoning, hot sauce and cayenne
- Pour over cabbage mix; combine well
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30-minutes; stir occasionally
- Serve with slotted spoon
- Note: This recipe uses ½ a bag of 14-ounce slaw mix and serves about 4-6 in ¼ - ½ cup increments; if you're serving a large group, use the whole bag of slaw and double the dressing mix
- Do not add salt until the coleslaw has marinated in the fridge (Creole seasonings already have salt in them...if you add salt before its marinated, you run the risk of it being too salty and then, there's no going back...don't ask me how I know this:)
- Avoid buying coleslaw mix with purple cabbage; Why? It turns the dressing a yucky "pink" color...very unappealing...carrots in the mix are okay-just no red cabbage
- Use a slotted spoon to serve