Mayo-Free Coleslaw is a must-have for your next outdoor barbecue or cookout! Sweet and tangy, this recipe is a winner every time and it’s super easy to make!
Can I Make No Mayo Coleslaw in Advance?
This recipe can be made in advance; however, if you use packaged coleslaw with red cabbage, DO NOT pour the dressing over it until a few hours before serving. The vinegar and oil turn the red cabbage pink!
The best way to make this in advance is make the dressing in advance. On the day of serving, about an hour before you serve the coleslaw, heat the dressing to medium heat, pour it over the slaw, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, then serve.
No mayo coleslaw is the perfect side dish for your next outdoor event! Keep it fresh and cool by placing its serving bowl in a vessel of ice! Sweet and tangy, it pairs well with barbecue, ribs, burgers, you name it!
- 1 14 oz. bag of pre-made coleslaw (avoid ones with too much red cabbage; it turns pink!)
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Dice half of a medium size green bell pepper and combine in a large bowl with shredded cole slaw
Combine all dressing ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook on medium heat until sugar is dissolved; pour mixture over slaw, cover and refrigerate
When ready to serve; mix slaw well and drain; place in large serving bowl and garnish with green onions (optional)
- No Mayo Coleslaw is a quick, easy and healthy alternative to traditional mayonnaise-based slaws
- Because it has no eggs, it can sit outside at a barbecue or pool party without going rancid
- It tastes best after the marinade has set in the slaw for awhile; drain additional marinade prior to serving