This 5-minute slaw is a must-have for your next fish-fry, outdoor barbecue or cookout! Sweet and tangy, this Southern vinegar-based recipe is a winner every time! Try whipping up a batch of this side dish to serve with homemade fried catfish!
You're gonna love this recipe!
This easy slaw recipe is the quintessential summer recipe and is perfect for outdoor dining!
- The flavor is light, crisp, sweet and tangy
- Quick and easy to make-dressing takes less than 5-minutes
- Holds up well at picnics and poolside gatherings because it has no mayonnaise or eggs
- Versatile-you can add other vegetables to enhance the "crunchiness" and nutrition: celery, water chestnuts, etc.
Here's what you'll need:
You'll only need a few things to make this delicious side dish: a bag of pre-cut slaw mix, a green bell pepper, onion (optional), sugar, apple cider vinegar, oil, celery and mustard seeds.
How to make it:
The vinegar-based dressing takes only about 5- minutes to make!
In a large bowl, add chopped bell pepper and slaw mix; set aside (if you want onion in your slaw, add it now)
In a medium saucepan, bring sugar, vinegar, oil, mustard and celery seed to a boil
Pour the sweet and tangy dressing over the coleslaw mix; combine well using tongs
Toss the slaw in the dressing; cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes; when ready to serve, use a slotted spoon
Make it ahead of time
The best way to make marinated coleslaw in advance is to make the dressing in advance. On the day of serving, about an hour before you serve the coleslaw, heat the dressing to medium heat, pour it over the slaw, refrigerate and let it marinate for at least 15 minutes, then serve.
A note about red cabbage
This Southern vinegar slaw can be made in advance; however, if you use packaged coleslaw with red cabbage, DO NOT pour the dressing over it until a few hours before serving. The vinegar and oil turn the red cabbage pink and then you have pink coleslaw...
Unfortunately, cabbage does not hold up well in the freezer. Store it in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
Pin It for Later!
Serve No Mayo Coleslaw with:
♥ If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and rating! I love to hear from you!
No Mayo Coleslaw
- 1 14 oz. bag of pre-made coleslaw (See Recipe Notes)
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup onion chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dice bell pepper and onion (optional); combine in a large bowl with shredded cole slaw
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook on medium heat until sugar is dissolved; pour mixture over slaw, cover and refrigerate
- When ready to serve; mix slaw well and drain; place in large serving bowl and garnish with green onions (optional)
- If you buy a coleslaw mix with red cabbage, do not marinade the cabbage too long-the red cabbage turns the coleslaw pink...
- Store in the fridge up to 5 days; do not freeze
- Use a slotted spoon to serve