No Mayo Coleslaw is a must-have for your next fish-fry, outdoor barbecue or cookout! Sweet and tangy, this Southern vinegar slaw recipe is a winner every time and it’s super easy to make! Try whipping up a batch of this side dish to serve with homemade fried catfish!
Ingredients for No Mayo Coleslaw
You’ll only need a few things to make this delicious side dish: chopped cabbage, diced onion and bell pepper, carrots (optional) and the no mayonnaise sauce which consists of sugar, oil, celery and mustard seeds, and apple cider vinegar.
Can I Make Coleslaw in Advance?
This Southern vinegar slaw can be made in advance; however, if you use packaged coleslaw with red cabbage, DO NOT pour the dressing over it until a few hours before serving. The vinegar and oil turn the red cabbage pink!
The best way to make marinated coleslaw in advance is to make the dressing in advance. On the day of serving, about an hour before you serve the coleslaw, heat the dressing to medium heat, pour it over the slaw, refrigerate and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes, then serve.
Coleslaw in a sweet and tangy mayonnaise free dressing with carrots, onions and green bell peppers
Can I Freeze Coleslaw?
Unfortunately, cabbage does not hold up well in the freezer. No Mayo Coleslaw can be safely stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
I hope you’ll find this is one of the best vinegar-based coleslaw recipes! The celery and mustard seeds really add an extra layer of flavor! Try this as a side dish with Foolproof Oven Baked Ribs
No Mayo Coleslaw
- 1 14 oz. bag of pre-made coleslaw (avoid ones with too much red cabbage; it turns pink!)
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dice half of a medium size green bell pepper and combine in a large bowl with shredded cole slaw
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook on medium heat until sugar is dissolved; pour mixture over slaw, cover and refrigerate
- When ready to serve; mix slaw well and drain; place in large serving bowl and garnish with green onions (optional)
- No Mayo Coleslaw is a quick, easy and healthy alternative to traditional mayonnaise-based slaws
- Because it has no eggs, it can sit outside at a barbecue or pool party without going rancid
- It tastes best after the marinade has set in the slaw for awhile; drain additional marinade prior to serving