Some entrees just sound “fancy,” like this easy Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe. Maybe it’s because of the fancy spelling of “bleu” or because it reminds us of the famous French cooking school, Le Cordon Bleu. No matter what, you’ll love this easy chicken dish- stuffed with creamy Swiss cheese, tasty ham and the delicious cordon bleu Dijon sauce!
Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu
What is Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Chicken Cordon Bleu is a dish of Swiss origin where a thin chicken breast is flattened then layered with Swiss cheese and ham. The chicken breast, ham and cheese are then rolled, breaded and baked. It is seemingly complex, but in actuality, quite an easy and impressive dish to serve.
How Long Does it Take to Prep Chicken Cordon Bleu?
The prep time takes about 15 minutes, and that includes the time it takes to pound the chicken breast. If you have an unusually thick chicken breast, I recommend slicing it in half lengthwise first, then pound it out to about 1/4 inch thickness. The thinner the chicken breast, the easier it is to roll it up!
Ingredients for Cordon Bleu Sauce
The creamy sauce that accompanies this Swiss chicken “schnitzel” starts with a basic roux of flour and butter. Add milk, Dijon mustard and parmesan cheese to the roux and the sauce is done! Drizzle the sauce over the chicken and enjoy!
What Can I Substitute for the Ham and Swiss Cheese?
Traditional Cordon Bleu consists of ham and Swiss cheese; however, you can substitute the ham with other cured meats such as Proscuitto or Pancetta, which have a similar in flavor to ham. As for the Swiss cheese, feel free to use any white cheese such as Gruyere or Provolone.
How to Assemble Cordon Bleu
Four easy steps to putting together chicken cordon bleu. Once you roll the chicken, cheese and ham, dredge the chicken through the egg and then in the breadcrumbs. Place on lightly oiled baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
Recommended Side Dishes for Cordon Bleu
The basic flavor palate we start with is: chicken, ham, Swiss cheese and the Dijon sauce-a nice savory flavor profile. Pair this dish with a nice green vegetable such as steamed broccoli, or sauteed asparagus! Other options include ratatouille, broccoli rabe or sauteed kale.
Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
- Toothpicks to secure the chicken roll
- Meat mallet
Chicken Stuffing and Coating
- 3 chicken breasts trimmed, boneless, skinless
- 3 thin slices ham
- 3 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 1½ cups breadcrumbs
- 1 stick butter melted
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 stick butter
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Lightly oil baking dish
- Soak 8-12 toothpicks in a small glass of water
- Melt butter in pie pan or flat pan with an edge
- Pour breadcrumbs into a separate flat pan; add thyme and garlic powder; combine well
Assemble the Chicken
- Pound chicken breasts to 1/4 inch thick (See Recipe Notes - Prep the Chicken)
- Lightly salt and pepper chicken breasts
- Place cheese on breast; then, place ham on breast
- Roll the chicken and secure with a few toothpicks
- Using tongs, dredge the rolled chicken in the melted butter then in the bread crumbs
- Place breaded chicken roll in a lightly oiled baking dish
Make the Sauce
- In a medium pan, melt the butter
- Gradually sprinkle in the flour, stirring constantly with a whisk
- Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly
- Add Dijon mustard, vinegar and Parmesan cheese (See Recipe Notes - Make the Sauce)
- Drizzle sauce over chicken cordon bleu and serve