Copper Penny Carrot Slaw is a spin-off of a Southern classic recipe called "Copper Penny Carrots."
A combination of shredded carrots, bell pepper, and onion in a tangy marinade- this is a great "picnic" side dish because it pairs beautifully with burgers, hot dogs and it has NO MAYONNAISE!
This light sweet and sour carrot coleslaw perfect as a side to your favorite sandwich, meat entree or by itself!
Copper Penny Carrot Slaw is derived from a vintage recipe called "Copper Penny." The original recipe probably got its name from the coin-shaped carrots and the bronze color they turn after marinating in the tomato-based marinade.
The original recipe used Campbell's™ Tomato Soup, but I wanted something more natural and lower in sodium.
This recipe uses the same concept as the original, only with shredded carrots-perfect as a side or on fish tacos!
You'll love this recipe!
- Quick and Healthy- this refreshing side dish comes together in minutes and is easy on the waistline
- Perfect side dish- serve this marinated slaw with barbecue or with a sandwich
- Great topping - the flavor and texture of this carrot slaw pair beautifully with fish or as a topping on fish tacos
Here's what you'll need!
Carrots, green bell pepper, sweet yellow onion, tomato sauce, sugar, apple cider vinegar, oil, dry mustard, celery seed, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, salt and pepper
How to make it:
Shred the carrots, dice onion and bell pepper
Make the marinade: Combine tomato sauce, oil, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire, soy sauce, dry mustard and celery seed in a medium saucepan;
Add chopped bell pepper and onions to liquid; bring to boil
Pour marinade over shredded carrots; combine well; cover and chill
Serve cold or at room temperature; use a slotted spoon to serve
- Copper Penny slaw uses 1 lb. of shredded carrots which yields about eight half-cup servings
- Shred whole carrots in a food processor or buy shredded carrots
- Three large carrots yield about 2 cups of shredded carrots
- A good guideline for serving is to allow ½ cup of carrot slaw per person
Copper Penny Carrot Slaw pairs well with beef, pulled pork or poultry. It also serves as a delicious slaw on fish tacos or a cool side to your favorite sandwich!
Copper Penny Carrot Slaw is perfect for picnics because it has no mayonnaise! It's a winner...every time!
- Classic Egg Salad
- No Mayo Coleslaw
- Homemade Sloppy Joe's
- Southern Potato Salad
- Southern English Pea Salad
Copper Penny Carrot Slaw
- 1 pound carrots ,shredded
- ½ cup green bell pepper ,diced
- ½ cup sweet yellow onion ,diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup oil (vegetable or canola)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Shred carrots and set aside in a large bowl
- Combine diced onion, bell peppers and remaining ingredients into medium saucepan
- Bring mixture to boil
- Pour marinade over raw carrots; combine well
- Cover and refrigerate at least 20 minutes
- Serve using slotted spoon
- Peel and shred carrots or use pre-shredded
- Use slotted spoon to serve