Turn bland, canned beans into a savory homemade side dish in less than 30 minutes! These maple baked beans are super easy to make, delicious, and go with just about anything from ham to ribs!
This easy baked bean recipe has a ton of flavor from the onions and bell peppers, as well as the sweet, spicy and tangy sauce! You can make these as mild or spicy as you prefer and it's great for a large gathering. Make this recipe on the stove-top, oven, or slow-cooker.
Why you'll love this recipe:
- All-natural - no additives, preservatives or words you can't pronounce
- Quick and easy - just chop an onion and bell pepper, and combine all the ingredients into one big bowl
- Flavorful - homemade maple baked beans taste so much better than store bought!
- Inexpensive - the ingredients aren't costly so this is perfect for large groups!
Here's what you'll need:
Navy beans, onion, green bell pepper, barbecue sauce, dry mustard and maple syrup.
Here's how to make it:
- Drain and rinse beans; pour into large mixing bowl
- Add chopped onion, bell pepper, dry mustard, maple syrup and barbecue sauce; combine well
- Pour into baking dish and bake covered @ 350ºF for 15-20 minutes
This recipe uses a 9 x 13 baking dish and yields about 15 -1/2 cup portions. Perfect amount for a potluck or group!
Can I make maple baked beans in a slow cooker?
Yes! Just add the drained navy beans, to the slow cooker with a little bit of water; combine the sauce, onions and bell peppers in a large bowl, then pour the mixture into the slow cooker for about 2 hours on low.
What can I substitute for maple syrup?
If you need a substitute for Maple syrup, try using honey, table syrup (from a jar), agave nectar or brown sugar.
Storage and reheating
Store maple baked beans in refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, place in 350ºF oven (covered) for 15 minutes or until they are heated thoroughly.
- Southern Potato Salad
- English Pea Salad
- Restaurant Quality Canned Refried Beans
- Foolproof Oven Baked Ribs
- 60 ounces navy beans rinsed and drained, (four 15 oz. cans)
- 2 cups sweet yellow onion chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers chopped
- 2 T dry mustard
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- ½ cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Rinse and drain beans
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, folding the beans in last
- Bake covered @350ºF for 25-30 minutes