Bite-sized Margherita Nachos are quick and easy "Italian nachos"!
Baked flour tortillas, topped with marinara, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil! The perfect Italian appetizer!
Simple ingredients and ready in minutes!
This recipe for Margherita Nachos is a spin-off the famous "Italchos"™ that the famed Dallas restaurant Terilli's introduced back in the 70's.
People went crazy over Terilli's concept of an "Italian nacho," afterall, when we say nacho, we think Mexican food, right? Well, with a few simple ingredients, you can turn a flour tortilla into an Italian masterpiece on a moment's notice!
Here's what you'll need:
Margherita nachos need only a few simple ingredients: flour tortillas, fresh mozzarella, marinara sauce, tomatoes and fresh basil! That's it!
How to make Margherita Nachos
Simply bake a flour tortilla for a crispy base for the Italian nachos!
Lighly oil one side of a flour tortilla.
Place on a lightly oiled baking pan. Sprinkle a tiny bit of garlic powder (optional) on each tortilla and bake at 375ºF for 8-10 minutes.
Once the flour tortillas are crisp, top with marinara or pesto sauce, mozzarella cheese and fresh tomatoes. Place under broiler for about 2 minutes, or until cheese melts.
Slice into quarters, garnish with fresh basil and enjoy!
Fresh San Marzano tomatoes are the most flavorful, but it's hard to find these, so I used small Grape tomatoes! They're so sweet and work well with these delicious Italian nachos.
Fresh mozzarella is the traditional cheese for Margherita pizzas; this recipe uses Ciliegine, which are small balls of mozzarella.
However, if Ciliegine are not available, any fresh mozzarella will suffice--just cut or tear it into small pieces so it will melt a bit under the broiler.
These Italian nachos take only a few minutes to make and they're a nice alternative to traditional Mexican nachos, especially if you're serving Italian for dinner!
- Italian Skillet Supper
- Pasta Carbonara with Ricotta Cheese
- San Marzano Pasta Sauce
- Seafood Manicotti Alfredo
- Sausage Balls
- Cheddar Wafers
- Hickory Almond Stuffed Dates
- Louisiana Crab Puffs
If you make this recipe, please scroll down and leave a comment and rating! I love to hear from you! Thank you!
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes , diced
- ½ cup marinara sauce , prepared
- fresh basil chopped
- Preheat oven to 375ºF; line baking pan with parchment; lightly oil parchment paper
- Lightly oil one side of each tortilla; place on baking sheet4 large flour tortillas, 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Bake for 8-10 minutes; remove from oven; turn oven setting to Broil
- Add a little marinara, mozzarella, fresh tomato and garlic powder (optional) to each tortilla6 ounces fresh mozzarella, 1 cup fresh tomatoes, ½ cup marinara sauce, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Place under broiler for 3-5 minutes or until cheese begins to melt
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh basil; cut into quartersfresh basil
- For the crispy base of the Margherita nachos, use a regular, or low-carb flour tortilla.
- Fresh mozzarella is a must for these delicious nachos. It doesn't take much, but shredded mozzarella seriously misses the mark.