This Savory Pumpkin Hummus is quick and easy, gluten-free and THE perfect vegan appetizer to add to your Fall menu! It takes less than 10-minutes to prepare and pairs well with pita chips, Naan, or blue corn tortilla chips!
Hummus is such a versatile dip, and this mild-flavored pumpkin hummus recipe is perfect to share at a Fall gathering! Sprinkle dry-roasted pumpkin seeds over the top for additional texture and flavor!
What Is Hummus?
Hummus is a Mediterranean dip that consists of pureed Garbanzo beans, Tahini (sesame seed paste), oil, garlic, lemon and salt.
It has been around since the late 13th century. Apparently, "chickpeas," were abundant in the Middle East and thus, the invention of hummus.
Here's what you'll need:
What is Tahini and where do I find it in the grocery store?
Tahini is a paste-like puree of toasted sesame seeds and oil. Grocers often place this condiment in various sections throughout the store.
You might find it on the International Aisle, the Peanut Butter/Spread aisle, or in the Kosher or Indian section of the store. If you cannot find packaged Tahini, make your own!
How to make tahini:
Homemade Tahini is very easy to make! It requires only two ingredients: sesame seeds and oil:
- Toast 1 cup of sesame seeds in a hot skillet 2-3 minutes
- Add toasted sesame seeds and 3 tablespoons of peanut or sesame oil to food processor
- Pulse ingredients until smooth (about 45 seconds)
How to make it:
Drain and rinse beans. Pulse in food processor. Add remaining ingredients. Pulse till smooth
Serve this spicy Mediterranean dip alongside your favorite cheeseboard! It's also a great appetizer with sliced green or red bell peppers, celery or carrots.
Use it as a vegan sandwich spread--put a layer of savory hummus on your favorite Pumpernickel or Rye bread and garnish with arugula and fried eggplant!
Savory Pumpkin Hummus Recipe
- Food Processor
- 30 ounces garbanzo beans (chick peas) drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons Tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- juice of one large lemon
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds , divided (1 T for hummus; 1 T as garnish), roasted, salted
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts garnish (optional)
- parsley garnish (optional)
- Drain and rinse Garbanzo beans; pulse in food processor
- Add pumpkin, Tahini, lemon, garlic, cumin, cayenne to beans; pulse ingredients together
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil until mixture, once mixture is well combined, add in 1 tablespoon roasted salted pumpkin seeds
- Plate and garnish with remaining pumpkin seeds, pine nuts and parsley
- Serve with pita chips, Naan bread or blue corn tortilla chips
- Drain and rinse garbanzo beans first