Sweet and Tangy All-Purpose Salad Dressing
This Sweet and Tangy All Purpose Salad Dressing recipe has been around for years, so I clearly can’t take sole responsibility for its creation. But…it is a delicious salad dressing on its own, or you can “dress it up” with added ingredients, seeds, seasonings and herbs.
In the picture below, is a “Greek” or “Mediterranean” spin salad using red onions, olives, cucumbers and hearts of palm.
The easiest way to make this salad is to place the salad ingredients in a jar and pour the dressing over them. Allow the salad toppings to marinate in the fridge for a few hours, then drain (reserve the liquid to drizzle over the lettuce) and top your favorite leafy greens with these sweet and tangy topping!
One thing I strongly recommend, if you use beets, marinate them separately because they turn the other vegetables pink… I learned this the hard way:)
Want an Italian spin on this dressing? Add a clove or two of garlic to the mixture while bringing it to a boil, then toss in some fresh or dried Italian herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary) and a little fresh Parmesan. Allow the combination to cool in the fridge before serving.
Sweet and Tangy Salad Dressing
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- pinch of salt
- In a small saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil; combine well
- Store in refrigerator or us immediately as a warm dressing for wilted salads
- Greek: add a clove of garlic to the sugar/vinegar mixture; then add dried oregano and black pepper to the mixture, store in fridge
- Italian: add a clove of garlic to the sugar/vinegar mixture: then add a tablespoon of dried Italian seasonings and shredded Parmesan to the mixture; store in fridge
- Creamy: once dressing has cooled, add plain yogurt, buttermilk or mayonnaise to the mixture; combine well; chill in fridge
Use as a Sweet and Tangy Vegetable Marinade
Make a batch of this dressing, then pour it over red or white onions, tomatoes, avocados and radishes! Serve as a side dish with your favorite Fried Catfish or Pan Fried Trout or use it as a salad dressing for Roasted Beet salad!