This Sweet and Tangy All-Purpose Salad Dressing recipe has been around for years, so I clearly can’t take sole responsibility for its creation. It’s a delicious universal “oil and vinegar” salad dressing on its own, or you can “dress it up” with added ingredients, seeds, seasonings and herbs.
This universal salad dressing goes great over crisp greens or a a vegetable marinade for cucumbers, red onions, and avocados! I like to make a big jar and keep it on hand in the fridge. My grandmother used to pour this over sliced red onions and cucumbers to serve with dinner…delicious… especially in the summer!
Ingredients for All-Purpose Salad Dressing
The basic recipe for this universal oil and vinegar dressing is: equal parts apple cider vinegar and sugar. One cup of vinegar + one cup of sugar + one tablespoon oil. Bring ingredients to medium heat on the stove until sugar dissolves; pour into storage jar or serve.
Variations of this Oil and Vinegar Dressing
Want an Italian spin on this dressing? Add a clove or two of garlic to the mixture while bringing it to a boil, then toss in some fresh or dried Italian herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary) and a little fresh Parmesan. Allow the combination to cool in the fridge before serving.
Substitute the tablespoon of oil for two tablespoons of hot bacon grease; pour the warm bacon dressing over spinach salad for a Hot Bacon Spinach Wilted Salad; garnish with bleu cheese and bacon crumbles
How Long Can I Store Salad Dressing?
This homemade oil and vinegar dressing lasts up to three months if properly stored in the fridge.
This Sweet and Tangy All Purpose Salad Dressing serves as a great marinade for red onions, cucumbers and radishes!
Sweet and Tangy Salad Dressing
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- pinch of salt
- In a small saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil; combine well
- Store in refrigerator or us immediately as a warm dressing for wilted salads
- Greek: add a clove of garlic to the sugar/vinegar mixture; then add dried oregano and black pepper to the mixture, store in fridge
- Italian: add a clove of garlic to the sugar/vinegar mixture: then add a tablespoon of dried Italian seasonings and shredded Parmesan to the mixture; store in fridge
- Creamy: once dressing has cooled, add plain yogurt, buttermilk or mayonnaise to the mixture; combine well; chill in fridge