Santa Fe Tamale Pie
Santa Fe Tamale Pie is delicious, filling and easy to make! It consists of seasoned ground beef, nestled between layers of “tamale”, or cornmeal.
Seasoned ground beef nestled in a fluffy, cornmeal, "tamale" mixture.
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 oz. diced green chiles (two small cans)
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 15 oz. can sweet yellow corn drained
- 12 oz. Chili Sauce in the ketchup section
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chile powder
- 1 packet Sazon Goya Coriander & Annatto seasoning see recipe notes
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 8 cups water
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar (optional)
In a large stock pot, heat oil to medium heat and add onions; cook for 5 minutes
Add beef to onions and cook till thoroughly brown
Drain reside from beef and return beef and onions to stockpot
Add cumin, chili powder, green chiles, corn, tomato paste and chili sauce; combine well and allow to cook for 15 minutes or until all flavors are married; taste for salt and pepper seasonings and adjust accordingly
Meanwhile, bring 6 cups water to boil in large pot
In a medium bowl, add two cups COLD water; pour two cups of cornmeal into cold water and combine well
Once cold water and cornmeal are combined, gradually pour mixture into HOT water
Add 1 teaspoon salt and Sazon Goya seasoning to cornmeal; combine until thick and bubbly
Spoon half of the cornmeal mixture into an ungreased pan; spoon chili mixture over cornmeal
Top chili with another layer of cornmeal;
NOTE: if you want to add cheese to this recipe, sprinkle shredded cheddar over the beef mixture, then place the top cornmeal layer over the cheese
Bake at 350º F for 25-30 minutes.
Allow to rest for five minutes before serving
- The secret ingredient in this dish is the Sazon Goya Coriander and Annatto! It is usually found in the International or Mexican aisle in the grocer.