You'll love this easy, preservative-free homemade Buttermilk Dill salad dressing! It's similar to "ranch-style" dressing, but with a little more tangy dill flavor! Quick and easy to make and goes great with buffalo wings, or as a dip for fresh veggies!
Homemade Buttermilk Dill Dressing is a cinch to make and is a deliciously light salad dressing or dip! With a hint of lemon and fresh dill, this all-natural salad dressing is perfect with salad or raw veggies.
Buttermilk dressing consists of a few simple ingredients: buttermilk, sour cream, mayonnaise, dill, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper. That's it! The flavor is similar to Hidden Valley brand of Ranch dressing, but with a hint of dill and lemon. This homemade version is all-natural and contains no additives, preservatives or high-fructose corn syrup.
Manufactured salad dressings often contain a lot of "other" ingredients, some of which you may or may not be able to pronounce. One of the most popular salad dressings on the market is Hidden Valley® brand of Ranch Dressing. It is unfortunate that so many people love this dressing because it contains additives, fillers and preservatives.
Most salad dressing and condiment manufacturers usually add extra (and not so healthy) ingredients. They do this for many reasons, but you'll find none of this is the homemade salad dressing:
- Additives prevent dairy and oil-based dressings from spoiling
- Preservatives extend the shelf life of the product
- Fillers reduce the number of natural ingredients and increase the volume of the product
- Calcium stearate is a powdered additive that serves as an anti-caking agent
- Maltodextrin is an inexpensive, highly processed white powder from corn, potato starch, wheat or rice; it preserves and increases the volume of a product. It is also high on the glycemic index, which means consumption spikes your blood sugar, so if you're a diabetic, you might want to watch out for this additive in your diet
Do You Really Need All These Ingredients in Your Food?
Of course not. Many people experience side effects from processed foods with hand and arm cramps, increased blood sugar, and even hives. Prepare a safe and better-tasting alternative to your friends and family by whipping up a quick batch of this dill dressing.
This is so easy to make! Just dump all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk! The consistency is somewhat thin, so if you want a thicker consistency, add an additional ½ cup of mayonnaise.
Short on time? Make this dressing in advance and store in the refrigerator up to one month!
Craving More? Try homemade buttermilk dill dressing on Fried Chicken Salad!
Buttermilk Dill Dressing
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dill weed dried; use 2 tsp. if fresh
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice fresh
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients
- Blend together thoroughly
- Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes