You'll love this easy Organic Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe! The creamy soup is a meal in itself and can be made in less than an hour with only a few ingredients: broccoli, carrots, milk, a pinch of flour, butter, broth, carrots, and cheddar cheese! This simple recipe uses real cheese-not processed or "Velveeta®" - and organic ingredients.
Let's face it, some restaurant broccoli cheese soups taste like plastic--as if someone melted five pounds of Velveeta® and then added a little broccoli. This healthy, homemade version is quick, easy and flavorful. Say goodbye to canned soups with preservatives and high sodium content and make a big batch of homemade broccoli cheese soup! I think you'll find this recipe absolutely delicious with a nice rich flavor and a creamy, silky texture.
Can I Use Frozen Broccoli?
Frozen or fresh organic broccoli works well in this recipe. If you use frozen, rinse it first before adding it to the broth. If you use fresh broccoli, it is okay to use some of the upper part of the broccoli stalk in the soup. The stalk adds additional texture, fiber and nutrients.
Chop the broccoli as you like-some prefer big bites of broccoli in their soup, whereas others prefer small bites-it's your preference!
What Type of Cheese Should I Use ?
Use a nice, aged, sharp cheddar cheese that comes in a block. Aged cheese melts better than those that aren't aged. Pre-shredded cheese is not recommended due to the preservatives added to maintain texture and color. You might consider using a sharp white cheddar, or a combination of Colby/Jack cheese.
Ingredients for Easy Organic Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 1/2 cups organic broccoli
- 3 large organic carrots
- 2 1/2 cups shredded all natural aged cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup organic flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons organic olive oil
- 1/2 medium organic onion, chopped
- 2 cups organic vegetable or chicken broth
How to Make Homemade Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup
- Add oil and butter to Dutch oven; add chopped onions and saute for 5 minutes; sprinkle in flour; add milk and broth; use whisk to remove any lumps
- Add chopped bay leaf, broccoli and carrots; allow to heat on medium low for 15 minutes
- Add shredded cheese; taste for seasonings; add salt and pepper if desired
Variations of Cheese Soup
The creamy cheddar cheese soup serves as a base for many variations: try using chopped asparagus, celery, brussels sprouts, mushrooms, potatoes or...you guessed it....Just Cheese Soup! Chop the vegetables as you would the broccoli and add them after you add the cheese. If you use potatoes, cut them into cubes and place them in the soup when you add the broth (they take longer to cook than vegetables.)
Craving More? Try Healthy Lentil Soup or Irish Soda Bread
Organic Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 cups broccoli course chopped crowns or frozen
- 3 medium carrots matchstick-cut or shredded
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cheese cheddar; not pre-shredded
- 2 cups milk 2%
- 1/4 cup olive oil or butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- In a Dutch oven, or large pot, add oil/butter and bring to medium high heat
- Shred cheese from cheese block and set aside (pre-shredded cheese is not recommended)
- Add onions to pot and cook 5 minutes or until onions are translucent
- Stirring constantly, add flour to onions and combine; allow to cook for 3 minutes
- Gradually add milk to onions; stirring constantly
- Add broth; use whisk to remove any flour lumps; once mixture is smooth add broccoli, carrots, and bay leaf
- Bring mixture to boil; once mixture is at boiling point, reduce heat to medium
- Add cheese; stir and combine well
- Allow combination to cook for 20 minutes, covered
- Remove bay leaf; test for salt and pepper; add pepper if desired and serve
Quick and easy classic Southern dessert. Always a crowd-pleaser!
Questions or Comments?