Broccoli Cheese Soup
Broccoli Cheese Soup is a meal in itself and can be made on the cheap, in less than one hour with only a few ingredients: milk, a pinch of flour, butter, carrots, celery, broccoli and cheese!
Some broccoli soups taste like plastic–as if someone melted five pounds of Velveeta and then added broccoli. But not this recipe! I think you’ll find this all-natural, preservative-free recipe absolutely delicious with a nice rich flavor and a creamy, silky texture.
Can I Use Frozen Broccoli in Broccoli Cheese Soup?
Frozen or fresh works well in this recipe. If you use frozen, rinse it first before adding it to the broth.
What Type of Cheese Should I Use for Broccoli Cheese Soup?
A nice, aged sharp cheddar tastes really good in this cheese soup. Aged cheese melts better than those cheeses that aren’t aged, so consider this when shopping for ingredients.
Can I Use Packaged, Pre-Shredded Cheese?
Since cheese is the star in this recipe, you’ll want to invest in a nice block of aged sharp cheddar. Unfortunately, the packaged pre-shredded cheese doesn’t seem to melt or taste as good as a high quality, block cheese.
What Are Some Variations of This Recipe?
The creamy cheese in this soup serves as a base for many variations: try using asparagus, brussels sprouts, potatoes or…you guessed it….Just Cheese Soup!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 cups broccoli course chopped crowns or frozen
- 3 medium carrots matchstick-cut
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil or butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons paprika smokey
- 2 1/2 cups cheese cheddar; not pre-shredded
- 2 cups milk 2%
- In a Dutch oven, or large pot, add oil/butter and bring to medium high heat
- Shred cheese from cheese block and set aside (pre-shredded cheese is not recommended)
- Add onions and celery to pot and cook 5-8 minutes or until onions are translucent
- Stirring constantly, add flour to onion/celery mixture and combine; allow to cook for 3 minutes
- Gradually add milk to onion/celery mixture
- Use whisk to remove any flour lumps; once mixture is smooth add broth, carrots, paprika and bay leaf
- Bring mixture to boil; once mixture is at boiling point, reduce heat to medium
- Add broccoli and cheese; stir and combine well
- Allow combination to cook for 20 minutes, covered
- Remove bay leaf; test for salt and pepper; add pepper if desired and serve
Craving More? Try Healthy Lentil Soup
Egg-free recipe ready in 20 minutes!
Quick and easy classic Southern dessert. Always a crowd-pleaser!