May 5th is a historical celebration, but for most of us, it's just a great reason to indulge in a margarita and chow down on some delicious Mexican food. Here are some favorite dishes to serve at your Cinco de Mayo celebration!
Your Cinco de Mayo party may be smaller than usual this year, but that's no reason you can't still have delicious Mexican food from your own kitchen! Most of these recipes can be made with simple ingredients and seasonings.
Why you'll love these recipes:
- Easy to make with easy instructions - step-by-step instructions with FAQ's and Expert tips
- All-natural ingredients-no MSG, preservatives, additives of funny stuff...just clean ingredients
- Economical - these recipes don't cost much to make and they go along way
- Nothing fancy...just good home-cooked Mexican food with flavor!
Cinco de Mayo Favorites
Appetizers and Sides
Authentic Mexican Rice
Prep and cook time is about 30 minutes. Authentic Mexican Rice is naturally gluten-free and deserves a shining spot on your party table! This flavorful concoction of tomato-seasoned rice and spices complements any Mexican dish!
Restaurant-Quality Refried Beans
Prep and cook time: about 15 minutes. No need to cook beans all day...this quick and easy recipe really dresses up canned beans to taste delicious!
Tex-Mex Sour Cream Sauce
Prep and cook time: about 10 minutes Chicken broth, sour cream, Monterey Jack cheese....
Prep time: 5-minutes Avocado, onion, lime...
Prep and cook time: maybe 10-minutes Eggs, onion, bell pepper, tortilla chips...
Slow Cooker Chicken Carnitas
Prep and slow cooker time: 4 hours Chicken thighs, slow cooker, cumin, chili powder, jalapeno, onion...
Vegetarian Poblano Cheese Enchiladas
Prep and cook time: 55-minutes Corn tortillas, poblano pepper, cheese, onion, enchilada sauce...
Prep and cook time: 45-minutes Ground beef, chile powder, cumin, enchilada sauce, Sazon Goya seasoning...
Prep and cook time: 40-minutes Chicken, broth, rotel tomatoes...
Green Chile Chicken Soup
Prep and cook time: 60-minutes Chicken, verde sauce, roasted Hatch peppers...
Black Bean Soup
Prep and cook time: 30 -60-minutes, depending upon if you use dried or canned beans
This slow cooker Carnitas recipe is great for leftovers! Use the tender seasoned chicken on tostadas, or make enchiladas!
Slow Cooker Chicken Carnitas
- Slow Cooker
- 2 lbs chicken white and/or dark
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin divided
- 2 tablespoons chile powder divided
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder divided
- 2 tablespoons Adobo sauce
- ½ cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon salt divided
- ½ large onion sliced
- 1 jalapeno cut into strips
- cilantro as garnish
- Season chicken lightly with salt and pepper
- Pour all ingredients into slow cooker; stir
- Place meat in broth
- Top with sliced onion and jalapeno
- Cook on low for 4 hours
- Remove meat from slow cooker; shred and place back into slow cooker for 30 minutes
- Use a slotted spoon and remove shredded chicken; place on warm flour tortilla; garnish with cilantro, sour cream and/or avocado
- Dark or white meat works great in this recipe. Use boneless, skinless thighs or breasts, or use a combination of the two. Dark meat seems to have a little more flavor, but the seasonings in this recipe will work well for either type.
- Adobo sauce is a brownish-red sauce, usually found in canned Chipotle peppers.
- It has a little heat to it, so if you do not like spicy, you can choose not to include the sauce.
- If you like heat, add the whole can of Chipotle peppers and sauce!
♥ If you make any of these recipes, please leave a comment and rating below! Thank you!