"Carnitas de pollo" are an easy way to get your authentic Mexican-food-fix without spending hours in the kitchen. Put everything in the slow cooker and walk away!
Carnitas, or "little meats" are a popular dish in Mexico, served on a warm flour tortilla with fresh condiments. Perfect for an entree or snack, they taste delicious and smell amazing!
Why you'll love this recipe!
- Easy, Easy, Easy - put everything in the slow cooker with a few ingredients and walk away!
- Flavorful and tender - the meat literally falls off the bone...it's that good!
- Multi-purpose Menu-use the flavored meat in soft or hard tacos, on tostadas or in a cheesy casserole
What you'll need:
I prefer fresh lime juice, but don't have any so I'll have to improvise. Pick up a few fresh garnishes you like--tomato, avocado, sour cream, and/or cilantro.
How to make it:
Lightly salt and pepper thighs; Pour all ingredients into slow cooker; place meat in slow cooker
Top with sliced onion and jalapeno and cook on low for 4 hours
Remove thighs, shred meat from bone and return to slow cooker for 30 minutes; meanwhile, heat tortillas
Dark or white meat?
Use either or a combination of the two. Dark meat seems to have a little more flavor, but the seasonings in this recipe will work well for either type of meat.
Can I put frozen chicken in the slow cooker?
Frozen meat should never be placed in a crockpot or slow cooker. Properly thaw it first. If you put frozen meat in the slow cooker, it sits in "The Danger Zone" too long and increases the risk of bacterial growth.
No chicken broth?
Use water and 2 bouillon cubes or 2 teaspoons of bouillon paste
No fresh jalapenos?
Use sliced from a jar or omit... you can also make Candied Jalapenos!
Best way to shred:
Use a fork to scrape the meat away from the bone...the meat is so tender, you don't have to pull hard...it literally falls right off the bone!
- Authentic Easy Mexican Rice
- Restaurant-Quality Canned Refried Beans
- Tortilla Soup
- Tex-Mex Sour Cream Sauce
- Candied Jalapenos
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
Slow Cooker Chicken Carnitas
- Slow Cooker
- 2 lbs chicken white and/or dark
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin divided
- 2 tablespoons chile powder divided
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder divided
- 2 tablespoons Adobo sauce
- ½ cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon salt divided
- ½ large onion sliced
- 1 jalapeno cut into strips
- cilantro as garnish
- Season chicken lightly with salt and pepper
- Pour all ingredients into slow cooker; stir
- Place meat in broth
- Top with sliced onion and jalapeno
- Cook on low for 4 hours
- Remove meat from slow cooker; shred and place back into slow cooker for 30 minutes
- Use a slotted spoon and remove shredded chicken; place on warm flour tortilla; garnish with cilantro, sour cream and/or avocado
- Dark or white meat works great in this recipe. Use boneless, skinless thighs or breasts, or use a combination of the two. Dark meat seems to have a little more flavor, but the seasonings in this recipe will work well for either type.
- Adobo sauce is a brownish-red sauce, usually found in canned Chipotle peppers.
- It has a little heat to it, so if you do not like spicy, you can choose not to include the sauce.
- If you like heat, add the whole can of Chipotle peppers and sauce!
♥ If you make this, please comment and rate below! Thank you!