The smoky and savory flavor of Adobo Chicken is perfect for any Mexican or Southwestern dish! Just put the chicken and seasonings in a slow cooker and walk away!
This is one of my favorite "go-to" chicken recipes, simply because it's effortless, delicious and extremely versatile. You can use the meat for all types of Mexican dishes--in flour tortillas as "Carnitas," on tostadas with black beans or in a casserole.
What is Adobo sauce?
Adobo sauce is a semi-thick, smoky flavored sauce made from dried Ancho and Guajillo peppers. The peppers are dried, then cooked with tomatoes, vinegar, chile powder and other spices and herbs.
You'll find it most frequently served with Chipotle peppers. Adobo sauce is generally not spicy, but it does have a slight amount of heat.
Why you'll love this recipe!
- Easy, Easy, Easy - put everything in the slow cooker with a few ingredients and walk away!
- Flavorful and tender - the meat literally falls off the bone...it's that good!
- Versatile-use the adobo chicken flavored meat in soft or hard tacos, on tostadas or in a cheesy casserole
- Delicious flavor - the lime juice, chili powder and Adobo sauce give this dish a restaurant-quality flavor and texture
What you'll need:
Chicken thighs (any kind-boneless/skinless or bone-in/skin-on), fresh lime juice is best, but I didn't have any so I had to improvise:) Pick up a few fresh garnishes you like--tomato, avocado, sour cream, and/or cilantro.
If you use chicken thighs with the skin on, you can either remove it before you put it in the slow cooker or pull it away after the chicken has cooked. The skin gives a good, rich flavor but it's hard to remove after the chicken is cooked...
How to make it:
Lightly salt and pepper thighs; Pour all ingredients into slow cooker; place meat in slow cooker. Note, the Adobo sauce is in Chipotle peppers...if you don't like much spice, do not include the peppers in the slow cooker.
Top with sliced onion and jalapeno and cook on low for 4 hours
Remove thighs, shred meat from bone (if you use bone-in) and return to slow cooker for 30 minutes; meanwhile, heat tortillas
You'll find this in canned Chipotle peppers. The sauce has a bit of warm heat to it-not super spicy, but definitely a little warmth.
The Chipotle peppers are hotter than the Adobo sauce, so...if you like spicy hot, add a small can of Chipotle peppers and the Adobo sauce.
If you prefer mild, use a tablespoon of the sauce and don't add the peppers.
Dark or white meat?
Use either or a combination of the two. Dark meat seems to have a little more flavor, but the seasonings in this recipe will work well for either type of meat.
Can I put frozen chicken in the slow cooker?
No. Frozen meat should never be placed in a crockpot or slow cooker. Properly thaw it first. If you put frozen meat in the slow cooker, it sits in "The Danger Zone" too long and increases the risk of bacterial growth.
No chicken broth?
Use water and 2 bouillon cubes or 2 teaspoons of bouillon paste
Best way to shred:
Use a fork to scrape the meat away from the bone...the meat is so tender, you don't have to pull hard...it literally falls right off the bone!
- Carnitas: Use Adobo Chicken to make these soft tacos. Carnitas means "little meats"; simply warm a flour tortilla, add the Adobo chicken and top with your favorites-avocado, sour cream, jalapenos, and Cotija cheese!
- Tostadas: Top a crispy corn fried tortilla with the chicken, along with some guacamole and salsa!
- Rice bowl: Make Easy Authentic Mexican Rice and add the adobo seasoned chicken, along with some avocado and sour cream or Refried Beans.
- Authentic Easy Mexican Rice
- Restaurant-Quality Canned Refried Beans
- Tortilla Soup
- Tex-Mex Sour Cream Sauce
- Candied Jalapenos
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
- Sweet Chipotle Corn Casserole
If you make this recipe, please scroll down and leave a rating and comment! I love to hear from you! Thank you!
Slow Cooker Adobo Chicken
- Slow Cooker
- 2 lbs chicken white and/or dark
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chile powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Adobo sauce
- ½ cup lime juice
- ½ large onion sliced
- 1 jalapeno cut into strips
- cilantro as garnish
- salt and pepper , to taste
- Season chicken lightly with salt and pepper
- Add all ingredients into slow cooker; stir
- Place meat in broth
- Top with sliced onion and jalapeno
- Cook on low for at least 4 hours
- Remove meat from slow cooker; shred and serve
- Dark or white meat works great in this recipe. Use boneless, skinless thighs or breasts, or use a combination of the two.
- Remove any skin before you cook the chicken (it's easier to remove before )
- Adobo sauce is a brownish-red sauce, usually found in canned Chipotle peppers.
- It has a little heat to it, so if you do not like spicy, you can choose not to include the peppers in the recipe
- If you like heat, add the whole can of Chipotle peppers and sauce!