You'll love this Strawberry Sheet Cake made from scratch! This light dessert features all-natural ingredients, with no boxed cake mix, gelatin or artificial sweeteners.
Why you'll love this recipe!
- Delicious, light flavor--not too sweet
- All-natural ingredients -- no box mixes or weird ingredients
- Pretty -- nice color and texture
- The perfect for any Spring or Summer occasion--picnics, birthdays, potlucks, Mother's Day, Father's Day, wedding showers and baby showers!
- Your guests will rave about the fresh, subtle strawberry flavor!
What you'll need:
For the batter and icing, you'll need one pound of fresh strawberries (grab a few extra for garnish), cake flour, baking powder, milk, vanilla, butter, eggs, sugar, cream of tarter, cream cheese and powdered sugar.
Here's how you make it:
First things first: Get out the eggs, milk and butter and allow them to come to room temperature, preheat oven to 350ºF, and lightly oil or butter a 9 X 13 baking dish.
- Make the fresh strawberry puree
- Assemble the cake ingredients. Use one big bowl for the dry ingredients and combine flour, baking powder and salt; use a smaller bowl for wet ingredients: milk and vanilla
- In the stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together; gradually add in wet and dry ingredients in 3 increments; add puree; combine well and set aside
- Use another large bowl and stand mixer to whip egg whites and cream of tartar to a soft peak; gradually add sugar to stabilize the egg whites
- Fold egg whites into the flour mixture
- Pour batter into a lightly oiled 9 X 13 baking dish
- Bake 40 - 45 minutes, or until the center is done (test with toothpick)
While it's baking, make the icing:
- Using the stand mixer, cream butter, cream cheese, vanilla and remaining puree together
- Gradually add powdered sugar in increments; icing is at the right consistency when it lightly sticks to the paddle
- Once its done in the center, allow to cool before icing
Short on time?
- Make the cake in advance. Store it and extra puree in the refrigerator for up to three days. When you're ready to serve this dessert, remove it from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature. While it's resting, make the icing. Apply icing and enjoy!
- Make the strawberry puree and icing in advance. You can store the icing and puree in the fridge for up to three days. When it's time to serve, let the strawberry cream cheese icing come to room temperature before applying the icing.
Fresh or frozen strawberries?
I love to serve this homemade dessert in the Spring, when strawberries are at their best, but if you don't have fresh berries, you can certainly use frozen strawberries. Just rinse and thaw!
♥ If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below! I love to hear from you!
Strawberry Sheet Cake
- Stand Mixer
- Food Processor
Cake Batter Ingredients
- 1 lb. strawberries (pureed = 1¾ cup); 1 cup for batter; ¾ cup for icing
- 3½ cups sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 sticks butter ,unsalted
- 2 cups sugar (1¾ cup for batter; ¼cup for egg whites)
- 8 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup pureed strawberries
- Get eggs, butter, milk and cream cheese out and allow to come to room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Lightly oil or butter 9 X 13 baking dish
- Clean and pull stems from strawberries
- Make strawberry puree
- Place cleaned and stemmed strawberries in food processor and pulse 2-3 minutes until they are liquid
- Pour pureed strawberries into saucepan on low heat and cook for 30 minutes; stir occasionally
- Once strawberries have reduced down to about half, remove from stove and allow to cool (or put the strawberry puree in the fridge if you're in a hurry)
Make the Cake
- In a large bowl, add cake flour, baking powder and salt; combine and set aside
- In a smaller bowl, combine milk and vanilla; set aside
- In a stand mixer, use a really big bowl and the paddle attachment; cream butter and sugar together; beat on low for 5 minutes until the mixture is light and creamy
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture while the mixer is on low; add the flour mixture in increments of 3; add the milk/vanilla mixture; add 1 cup of the strawberry puree; combine well; set aside
- Using a clean mixing bowl with the whisk attachment, add egg whites and cream of tartar; whisk on medium until soft peaks form
- Once soft peaks have formed, turn setting to high and gradually add in remaining ¼ cup sugar
- Use a spatula and fold egg whites into cake batter
- Pour batter into prepared pan
- Bake 40 - 45 minutes, or until the center is firm and a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool before icing
Make the Icing
- Use the stand mixer with a paddle and a large bowl
- Combine butter, cream cheese and vanilla in stand mixer on medium speed
- Add remaining strawberry puree; combine well
- Gradually add powdered sugar in one cup increments; icing is done when it holds to the paddle
- Use a spatula or off-set knife to apply the icing
- Garnish with any remaining fresh strawberries
Shared at Meal Plan Monday