Pennsylvania Dutch Skillet Supper is a one-pan dinner recipe that comes together in no time at all! Bite size morsels of sausage, potatoes and cabbage nestled in a savory broth! Serve with Irish soda bread and call it dinner!
This one-pan supper recipe is often considered, Irish, German or just plain ole American. My family has this easy meal on a monthly basis for as long as I can remember and our ancestors are French and Irish...go figure.
The beauty of this skillet supper is that it's quite filling and cost efficient. Ingredients include: ½ link sausage, one large Yukon gold potato, ½ small head of cabbage and ½ a large onion which provides four hearty bowls full of Pennsylvania Dutch Skillet Supper!
- Saute onions and potatoes
- Add cabbage and sausage
- Pour in beef or vegetable stock
- Allow to simmer until the potatoes are tender (about 20 minutes)
What kind of sausage should I use?
You can use beef, turkey or Keilbosa sausage for this recipe. Kielbasa is a Polish pork sausage; in the United States, we often refer to it as smoked sausage.
Can I substitute russet potatoes for Yukon Gold?
Yes, but keep in mind that this dish will simmer a little while and the fluffy russet potatoes will disintegrate somewhat. (Russets are less waxy than Yukon gold potatoes.) When cooking potatoes in a dish like this (or a soup/stew), a waxy Yukon gold or Red potato holds up best.
Do I need to cook the sausage first?
Generally speaking, smoked sausages and Kielbasa are already smoked and sealed in their packaging. In this case, simply add the sliced smoked sausage to the skillet and allow it to warm up while the potatoes cook!
I think you'll find this Skillet Supper a well-balanced and delicious weeknight dinner!
Craving More One-Pan Skillet Dinners? Try Cowboy Skillet Supper!
Pennsylvania Dutch Skillet Supper
- 1 package smoked sausage, or Keilbosa sliced
- ½ large yellow onion sliced
- ½ medium head of cabbage sliced
- 1-2 large Yukon gold potatoes diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 cups beef broth
- In a cast-iron skillet, add oil; bring to medium heat and add onions and caraway seeds
- Add cabbage, potatoes and smoked sausage; combine well
- Add beef broth; cover and allow to cook until potatoes are tender
- Season with salt and pepper to taste