Stuffed Cabbage Rolls are relatively easy to make and quite healthy!
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls are one of our family favorites! The dish is, based on my research, originally from Poland–called golumpki. Apparently, there are many names for stuffed cabbage as it is a staple menu item in not only Poland, but Hungary, Ukraine, Greece, France and Russia.
This recipe is a simple, low-carb version of original Polish recipes (it does not include rice). Interestingly, the original versions called for a can of tomato soup as the sauce on top, but I prefer to make my own because 1) I don’t have a can of tomato soup and 2) I’ve been making this same delicious sauce for over 25 years.
How Do I Prep The Cabbage for Stuffed Cabbage Rolls?
Heat a large pot of water on high, almost, but not quite to the boiling point. With a paring knife, core the cabbage. This means you cut around the core and remove it; rinse the head of cabbage and gently pull away the outer leaves. Place the leaves in the hot water until they are tender. Using tongs, remove the leaves and set aside.
Once the leaves are cool enough to touch, cut a “V” near the bottom of the leaf, removing the tough part of the leaf stem. This will allow the leaves to be more flexible once they’re stuffed.
How Much Filling Do I Put in Each Cabbage Leaf?
It really depends upon the size of the cabbage leaf. The outer leaves are usually dark green, larger and more tender than the inner leaves.
Start with 1/2 cup of filling and if it looks skimpy, add more. Don’t worry about serving different colored “green” leaves; once the sauce is added, no one will notice.
Once you’ve stuffed the leaves, place them in a baking dish (that has about 1/2 inch of water) seam side down.
How Do I Roll The Leaves?
Place a spoonful of filling in the center of the leaf; pull the “V” parts up over the filling; tuck in the sides of the leaf and continue rolling.
What Do I Stuff the Cabbage Leaves With?
This recipe calls for a beef stuffing with onions and bell peppers; however, a genuine “Polish” recipe will include pork and/or rice, and perhaps sauerkraut.
Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
Cabbage Stuffing Ingredients
- 1 head green cabbage
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper diced
- 2 whole eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs seasoned or plain
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 2 cups ketchup no high fructose corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Bring large pot of water to high heat
- Rinse and core cabbage
- Remove cleaned outer leaves of cabbage and place in water; usually, about 12 leaves
- Once cabbage leaves are tender, use tongs to remove them and set them aside
- Score a "V" on the cabbage leaves; this removes the hard stem and allows you to fold the cabbage
Stuffing and Rolling the Cabbage
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Lightly oil 9 x 13 baking dish
Meat Stuffing Instructions
- In a large bowl, add meat, raw onions. bell peppers, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, salt/pepper, mustard and bread Crumbs; combine well
- Take a large spoon of meat stuffing mix and place it right above the "V" on the cabbage; then, roll the cabbage forward and tuck in the sides; continue rolling and place in a lightly oiled baking dish
- Repeat with leaves and meat combination; place rolled cabbage leaves tightly in the baking dish so they won't "unfold"
- Place foil over baking dish and bake at 350º F for 30-45 minutes; internal thermometer should read at least 160ºF
- In a medium bowl, add all ingredients and combine well
- Remove cabbage rolls from oven; remove foil
- Pour sauce over cabbage rolls and place back into oven for 15 minutes
- Remove cabbage rolls from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!
- Some cabbage roll recipes call for rice. If you choose to add rice follow these instructions:
- Cook Rice
- Allow rice to cool
- Combine rice into meat mixture
- Resume recipe
Need a side dish for Stuffed Cabbage Rolls? Try making my homemade cornbread recipe!