Irish Soda Bread is a quick and easy bread to make and it contains no eggs!
If you’ve never made Irish Soda Bread, you’ll be amazed at how easy it is to make. In less than ten minutes, you can have a delicious, authentic Irish Soda Bread in the oven.
Irish Soda Bread is a quick and unbelievably easy bread to make and contains no eggs!
- 3 cups flour all-purpose
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter room temp
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
Preheat oven to 400ºF
In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients
Add butter; using your fingers, work the softened butter into the dry ingredients; work in butter until the mixture looks slightly crumbly
Add buttermilk to dry mixture and combine well;
Once the buttermilk is completely combined with the dry ingredients, pour the dough mixture onto a lightly floured surface
Begin to knead the dough until it begins to stick together; this is about 15 turns of the dough; the finished product will be bumpy and lumpy; do not knead the dough until it is smooth or you will create too much gluten and the bread will be mushy
Form a 6" disc with the dough (about the size of a salad plate); using a knife, score an"X" on the top of the dough
Place dough on parchment lined baking dish and bake until the center temperature reaches 180ºF (40-50 minutes, depending upon your oven)
- Irish Soda Bread has a rustic-look to it; it is not a smooth bread, like French bread
- Store leftover bread in an air-tight container for up to 3 days
- If you don't have cake flour, use all-purpose flour; just sift the flour twice before adding it to the recipe
Irish Soda Bread goes great with Irish-American Guinness Stew!