Eggplant Parmesan is a delicious way to satisfy your craving for Italian food! This recipe uses Za’atar seasoning, but if you don’t have Za’atar, simply substitute with dried Italian seasonings.
Crispy eggplant surrounded with garlic infused pasta, marinara sauce and topped with fresh mozzarella!
- 1 large eggplant (this makes about 7-8 1/4 inch rounds)
- 1/2 cup oil vegetable or olive
- 3 whole eggs lightly beated
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded fresh Parmesan
- 2 cups panko or bread crumbs
- 1 lb spaghetti pasta
- San Marzano Tomato Sauce see recipe notes
- 1 tablespoon Za'atar spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Heat large pot of water for pasta
Lightly beat 3 eggs and place in pie pan or shallow dish
In a second shallow dish, place bread (or panko) crumbs; season with salt, pepper and Za'atar
Pour oil into heavy bottom skillet on medium high heat
Heat or prepare tomato sauce; allow to cook on low until ready to serve
Prep Eggplant: Wash, peel and slice eggplant into rounds
Working in batches, dredge eggplant in egg then bread crumbs
Place bread-coated eggplant into hot oil; cook 3-5 minutes per side, or until the breading is light, golden brown (see recipe notes)
Remove eggplant from skillet and drain on paper towel
Add pasta to boiling water for 9 minutes; remove and drain; set aside
Place one slice of fresh mozzarella on each eggplant round; place eggplant rounds on foil covered baking sheet
Turn oven to "broil" setting, or 500ºF
Broil eggplant until mozzarella cheese begins to melt; remove from oven
Serve with pasta and sauce; garnish with fresh Parmesan
- Use homemade San Marzano tomato sauce or a high-quality jarred sauce
- After the first batch, you may need to add more oil; allow it to heat up before adding more eggplant rounds
If you want to make your own sauce (which is always better), I recommend San Marzano sauce. The flavor is second to none and if you make a big batch, you can freeze it and have some on hand in a pinch!
You might want to try serving an artichoke as an appetizer with this meal…they go great together!