Buffalo Tater Tots are the quintessential appetizer or snack for just about any day, but especially game day! This version consists of spicy buffalo chicken wing sauce, crispy baked tater tots and served with a sassy garlic and Blue cheese dipping sauce!
You'll love this gluten-free, vegetarian appetizer and it only takes a few minute to put together! Just a few simple ingredients, a quick pop in the oven and you're ready to say "Game On!"
You'll love these
These game day appetizers usually fly off the plate, so you'll probably want to double this zesty tater tot recipe. I make these the old fashioned way in the oven because my air fryer isn't big enough to make a double batch at once.
- If you like buffalo chicken wings, you'll love these - same great flavor but with no meat or gluten
- Easy to make - use frozen tater tots or tater crowns and a few seasonings
- These crispy potato rounds are easy on the waistline because they're baked and not fried!
- Serve them with the blue cheese dip in the recipe or with your favorite "ranch" style dressing.
- These are not the "loaded tater tots" like they have at Disney™ -these are an adult version of Friar Hooks™' with a little less fat and not nearly as messy.
Here's what you'll need
You'll need to place a baking or cooling rack on your baking pan. This prevents the sauce-coated tater tots from sticking and helps them to get nice and crispy all the way around. Everyone loves a crispy golden brown potato popper!
- Frozen tater tots
- Buffalo wing sauce - Frank's Hot Wing Sauce is good
- Mayonnaise (I forgot to include it in the picture below)
- Dijon mustard - course ground (stone ground)
- Boursin garlic herb cheese
- Blue cheese crumbles- or Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- Creole seasoning - I use Tony Chachere's but you can use any Cajun or Creole seasoning like "Slap Yo Mama", etc.
- Olive oil
- Fresh parsley - for garnish
How to make Buffalo Tater Tots
Lightly coat the frozen tater tots with Frank's™ Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce and bake on a wire rack at 450°F for about 20-25 minutes or until the tater tots are crispy and golden brown. While the buffalo style tater tots are baking, whip together the Blue Cheese Aioli in a food processor and enjoy!
How to make the dipping sauce
Blue cheese and buffalo chicken wings go together so well, I thought I'd incorporate a little blue cheese dip for this crispy tater tot appetizer. Combine mayonnaise, Boursin cheese, Blue cheese crumbles, Dijon mustard, olive oil and parsley in food processor. Pulse till smooth and serve.
What is Aioli?
Without boring you with technical culinary jargon, let's just say, for simplicity's sake it's a garlic mayonnaise. This recipe incorporates Boursin™ Garlic and Herb cheese, which is a Gournay cheese...(basically, a soft cheese like cream cheese) and Blue cheese crumbles.
The combination of Blue cheese with the Garlic/Herb cheese is delicious with the Buffalo tater tots!
Do not thaw tater tots before baking. For crisp tater tots, place a baking or cooling rack on your baking pan; this allows the tater tots to get crisp all the way around
Storage and reheating
If you have any leftover Buffalo tater tots, put them in an airtight container or plastic bag and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. If you bake the Buffalo tater tots ahead of time, reheat them in a 300°F oven until they're warm. (For best results, do not wrap them in foil.) You can make the Blue Cheese Aioli sauce 2-3 days in advance.
- Pan Fried Ravioli
- Authentic Bruschetta
- Eggplant Fries
- Orange Fig Spread
- Texas Chili
- Tex-Mex Queso Cheese Dip
If you make this recipe, please scroll down and leave a rating and comment! I love to hear from you!
Buffalo Tater Tots with Blue Cheese Aioli
- Food Processor
- Baking sheet, foil and a baking or cooling rack
Buffalo Tater Tots
- 32 ounce bag frozen tater tots
- 3 ounces Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce (3 ounces is ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
Blue Cheese Aioli
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs cheese (this is about half of a five ounce pkg. of Boursin)
- 5 ounces Blue cheese crumbles
- 1 teaspoon Country Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Line baking pan with foil and place baking rack on pan
- In a small mixing bowl, combine Buffalo wing sauce and Creole seasoning3 ounces Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce, 1 teaspoon Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
- Pour frozen tater tots in a large bowl; drizzle the Buffalo sauce mixture over the tots and toss, coating well32 ounce bag frozen tater tots
- Place tater tots in a a single layer on the baking rack and cook on the middle oven shelf for 20-25 minutes
- In a food processor, pulse mayonnaise, Boursin cheese, blue cheese crumbles, mustard and parsley until smooth; while the food processor is on, drizzle in the olive oil1 cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs cheese, 5 ounces Blue cheese crumbles, 1 teaspoon Country Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, ½ teaspoon olive oil
- Place in dipping bowl and enjoy!