This Foolproof Roasted Broccoli recipe ensures nicely toasted broccoli every time!
Roasting vegetables can be tricky to make sometimes, especially if you're in a hurry or having company! I've finally learned the secret to perfectly roasted broccoli and I'm happy to share it with you!
Why you'll love this recipe!
- Quick and Easy - use fresh or frozen broccoli
- Minimal ingredients - 3-simple ingredients
- Flavorful and foolproof - the secret to perfect roasted broccoli works every time!
What you'll need:
Broccoli, oil, sugar, salt, pepper
How to make foolproof Roasted Broccoli
- Preheat the oven to 500ºF; lightly oil a sturdy baking pan. Once the oven has reached the desired temperature, place the baking pan in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim broccoli stalks, and cut both stalks and crowns into small pieces
- In a large mixing bowl add cut broccoli, oil, garlic (optional) and sugar; combine well
- Remove hot baking pan from oven, spread broccoli evenly onto pan and cook for 10-12 minutes, turning broccoli halfway through the cooking time.
The result is nice, evenly roasted broccoli ready to serve!
How to select fresh broccoli:
When selecting broccoli crowns, or any other green vegetable, choose the darkest color. The darker the green indicates the broccoli is fresh and has optimum chlorophyll. Conversely, pale, or yellow-hued broccoli is probably not as fresh and offers less nutrients.
Why preheat the pan?
Pre-heating the pan allows for the heat to better permeate the vegetable. Since broccoli is a bit tough (especially the stalks), this step promotes evenly toasted broccoli crowns and stalks.
Why add sugar?
Sugar promotes browning. As the sugar begins to cook, it caramelizes and soaks into the broccoli.
You can omit the sugar if you prefer, but the small amount of sugar in this recipe will not impact the flavor of the broccoli--it simply helps the broccoli brown more evenly.
Other vegetables that toast nicely using this method are broccolini and asparagus.
Can I use frozen broccoli?
Yes, simply rinse the broccoli, then pat dry with a paper towel.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Classic Meatloaf
- Potato Dauphinoise
- Orange Glazed Carrots
- Southern Macaroni and Cheese
- Smothered Okra and Tomatoes
Foolproof Roasted Broccoli
- 1½ lbs. broccoli , cleaned and cut
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 500ºF; once oven reaches temperature, place lightly oiled baking pan in oven
- Allow baking pan to heat in oven for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, rinse broccoli
- Trim stems and cut into bite size pieces
- Cut broccoli crown into small pieces
- In a large bowl, add oil, garlic and sugar
- Toss broccoli crown and stalks in oil mixture
- Remove hot pan from oven and spread broccoli onto pan in an even layer
- Return pan to oven on the lowest rack; bake for 10 - 12 minutes, turning broccoli halfway during cooking time
- Remove broccoli from oven and serve immediately
- The small amount of sugar in this recipe encourages the broccoli to brown; it can be omitted.