A spin-off recipe of the traditional chicken pot pie, minus the pie crust! Creamy chicken soup with a ton of flavor from carrots, onions and celery served with a warm puff pastry. And the beauty of this recipe is how easy it is!
There are many brands of frozen pot pie dinners on the market, but the thing that makes me crazy is that they have preservatives, too much pastry, and not enough chicken or filling. The best way to ensure you get a little bit of everything in everybite is to make your own! Nothing tastes better than a homemade chicken pot pie, made with real chicken and fresh ingredients.
According to the CDC, thousands of foodborne illnesses are reported annually with a great deal of those stemming from undercooked or tained frozen pot pies. Eliminate that worry from your head with this homemade creamy chicken soup and puff pastry!
The ingredients for this chicken pot pie soup are: chicken thighs, onion, carrots, celery, seasonings, milk, broth and puff pastry. I recommend you make the creamy soup while the chicken bakes, then add the chicken, allow it to simmer a few minutes; bake the pastry and call it dinner!
How to Make
While the chicken is baking at 350ºF, prepare the soup. While the soup is simmering, bake the puff pastry then serve!
The pastry itself serves as a pie crust-once you submerge the warm puff pastry into the soup, you'll get a little pastry with every bite!
♥ If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating! I love to hear from you!
Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Puff Pastry
- Baking Pan
- Baking Sheet
- Pastry Brush
- 2½-3 lbs. chicken thighs , boneless, skinless
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1½ cups peas frozen
- 1 pkg. puff pastry
- 1 cup milk
- 1 stick salted butter divided
- 2 cups chicken broth
Egg Wash for Puff Pastry
- 1 whole egg lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Set puff pastry out at room temperature to thaw
- Lightly oil baking dish
- Dice onion, celery and carrots
Cook the Chicken and Make the Broth
- Place chicken thighs in a 9 x 13 lightly oiled baking dish; season chicken lightly with salt and pepper; cover with foil and bake 30 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165ºF
- Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, add oil and 1/2 stick of butter; add onion, celery and carrots; cook 5 minutes until tender
- Once vegetables are tender, add remaining 1/2 stick of butter
- Sprinkle flour over butter/vegetable mixture one tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly; cook for 5 minutes
- Add milk and continue to stir
- Add chicken broth, frozen peas and bay leaves
- Allow to cook on medium low heat, covered while you shred the chicken
- Add shredded chicken to the soup; allow to cook on medium low for 20 minutes; taste for salt and pepper; remove bay leaves and serve with puff pastry
Make the Puff Pastry
- Lightly oil baking sheet;
- Roll out pastry sheets
- Cut into quarters
- Use a pastry brush to apply egg wash to pastry dough
- Place in oven and bake 12-1 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown
- Remove from oven and serve with soup
Got leftover pastry? Make Puff Pastry Mini Hand Pies!