This Chicken Salad recipe is enhanced with a few other subtle ingredients that take this traditional favorite to a new level!
I think you'll agree that a delicious, homemade Chicken Salad is always a welcome choice at lady luncheons, wedding/baby showers or even at a "working" lunch.
This recipe is inspired from a variety of sources including Whole Foods Market's™ "Sonoma Chicken Salad" and the chicken salad served at Neiman-Marcus' restaurant, The Zodiac Room, created by Helen Corbitt.
Helen Corbitt's "Chicken Salad Supreme" was a mainstay on the Neiman's menu for years, due to it's sweet dressing.
Why you'll love this recipe:
- This recipe has a hint of sweet, savory and lots of flavor and crunch from the celery and grapes
- It's a nice, light and filling entree you can eat with fresh greens, as a side dish, or as a hearty sandwich nestled between your favorite bread.
- The dressing is what really sets this recipe apart from the others
What you'll need:
This recipe uses white meat, celery and red grapes. Nuts are optional.
The sauce is a combination of mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, honey, whipped cream and poppy seeds. There are no boiled eggs in this easy salad recipe, but I suppose you could add some if you like.
You can use canned poultry, but I find it loaded with sodium and a weird after-taste...another option is to use deli chicken or, some grocery stores offer containers of chopped or pulled cooked meat.
The beauty of making a homemade recipe is that you can put whatever you want in it, but the secret's in the sauce.
How to make it:
I recommend baking chicken breasts for this recipe; you can use meat from a deli chicken or canned chicken, but for the best flavor, use baked chicken breasts.
- Shred or dice cooked chicken breast and place in a large bowl
- Chop celery and grapes: add to chicken
- Make the sauce
- Drizzle a little dressing/sauce over ingredients; combine well; taste for seasonings; add more dressing if desired
- Allow to rest in fridge for at least 15 minutes
- Serve as a side, entree or sandwich
How to bake chicken breasts:
Preheat oven to 350ºF; pat dry chicken breasts; lightly season with salt and pepper; place in lightly oiled baking dish; cover with foil. Bake until internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
Allow chicken to cool then cut into cubes or shred.
If for some reason, you don't have the exact ingredients and want to make this salad in a flash, feel free to incorporate any of the following:
- Fruit: diced red or green apples, raisins, golden raisins
- Nuts and Seeds: toasted almonds, chopped pecans, candied pecans, smokehouse almonds, honey roasted peanuts
- Vegetables: watercress, radish, bell pepper, water chestnuts
- Other foods: fried "Chow Mein" noodles, poppy seeds, sesame seeds
Read this if you're cooking for a crowd:
The ingredient proportions for this recipe are based on 2 pounds of shredded meat, which results in about 6 cups of salad.
If you're making sandwiches, allow about ¼ cup salad per sandwich (if using mini croissants, allow about 3 tablespoons of salad per croissant).
Make up to 3-days in advance and store in a tightly secured container in the refrigerator.
You can make the entire salad and store it, or prep all the ingredients and combine the day of serving:
- To make in advance chop/shred the chicken and store it in the fridge.
- Cut and measure out the other ingredients and store in fridge.
- Make the chicken sala dressing and store it in the fridge, too.
About an hour before it's time to serve, mix everything together and let it sit in the fridge, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove from refrigerator, place in serving bowl and garnish with a few sprigs of parsley.
If you're hosting a party and want to serve an assortment of "lighter-fare-foods," you might consider serving this chicken salad alongside other salads...like a salad smorgasbord!
- Southern Pimento Cheese
- Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Mayo-Free Coleslaw
- Classic Egg Salad
- Classic Tuna Salad
- Broccoli Crunch
♥ If you make this recipe, please scroll down and leave a rating and comment. I love to hear from you!
- 2 pounds chicken , cooked, white, cubed or shredded
- ¾ cup celery diced finely
- 2 cups seedless red grapes cut in half
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup dried cranberries , optional
- ½ cup walnuts , optional
- 1 ½ cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup whipped cream , homemade or use a whipped dairy product
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- salt to taste
- Shred or cube cooked chicken; set aside
- Dice celery; slice grapes in half
- Put cooled shredded or cubed chicken, celery and grapes in large mixing bowl
Make the Dressing
- Combine dressing ingredients into large bowl and mix well
- Drizzle some of the dressing over chicken mixture; combine well; taste for salt and pepper
- Add more dressing/sauce if desired
- Place covered in fridge for 30 minutes
- Remove from fridge 30 minutes prior to serving
How to bake chicken breasts:Preheat oven to 350ºF; pat dry chicken breasts; lightly season with salt and pepper; place in lightly oiled baking dish; cover with foil. Bake until internal temperature reaches 165ºF. Allow chicken to cool then cut into cubes or shred.