Apple Crisp, also known as Apple Crumble, is a deliciously light and healthy dessert option! Warm, baked spiced apples nestled with crispy oats, apple pie spice and brown sugar...and it's even better topped with vanilla ice cream!
This simple apple crisp recipe is easy to make and your house will smell absolutely wonderful! It's the perfect Fall dessert- when apples are in season and when the temperature drops just a bit, but it's really good anytime of year!
Here's what you'll need:
The ingredients are: apples, oats, brown sugar, flour, butter and apple pie spice. You can use straight cinnamon instead of apple pie spice, but I like the apple spice because it contains cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice--three key spices to any apple dish!
Here's how to make it:
This easy apple dessert has two parts: the apple crisp filling and the oat topping. You'll definitely want to invest in an apple coring tool and a good, sharp paring knife.
- Peel, core and dice apples; squeeze lemon juice over apples to prevent them from turning brown (oxidation)
- Combine brown sugar, flour and salt; sprinkle over apples; place apples in lightly oiled baking dish
- Combine topping ingredients: oats, brown sugar, honey, pie spice, flour, salt; pour melted butter over mixture; combine well
- Spoon topping over apples; bake on the middle rack at 350ºF for 45 minutes
- Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream
What kind of apples do I use?
Baked apple crisp can be made with Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Gala or Fuji apples. Each of these varieties holds up well when baked.
Red Delicious apples are not ideal for this recipe simply because they don't hold up well under heat and turn to mush.
How to make it gluten-free:
If you want to make this apple crisp dessert gluten-free, simply substitute the flour and oats. While oats typically do not contain wheat, there is a strong possibility for cross contamination of oat and wheat fields.
- Apple corer
Apple Crisp Filling
- 8 large Honeycrisp apples cored, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon Apple Pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
Apple Crisp Topping
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup flour
- ⅔ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon Apple Pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¾ cup butter melted
Prepare the Apples
- Core and peel apples; cut into cubes; place in large bowl
- Pour lemon juice over apples; toss apples in lemon juice to coat evenly; cover and set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, Apple Pie spice and salt; combine well
- Sprinkle brown sugar/flour mixture over apples; toss apples to coat well
Prepare the Topping
- Combine all topping ingredients into a large bowl EXCEPT the butter; combine well
- Melt 1/2 cup butter; pour melted butter into topping mixture; lightly mix (see notes)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Lightly butter or oil a baking pan; pour spiced apples into pan
- Using your hands, sprinkle oat topping over apples
- Bake on middle rack, uncovered for 45 minutes