Traditional Beef Stroganoff is a Russian dish that consists of tender beef strips nestled in a tangy mustard and sour cream sauce.
This easy recipe comes together in no time and is typically served over tender egg noodles or rice.
There are many variations of classic Beef Stroganoff - some include condensed soups while others use ground beef instead of sirloin.
This recipe is based on the traditional version with the exception of a few seasonings and the option to include mushrooms.
You'll love this recipe!
Tender slices of beef with buttery egg noodles in every bite! It's virtually a complete meal - all you need to add is a side of something green like Brussels sprouts, collard greens or roasted broccoli.
Tastes great as leftovers, too! Simply store the noodles in a separate container from the beef and sauce!
Type of beef for Stroganoff
Sirloin steak works best for this dish, however, you can use round, rib eye, skirt, flank or flap steak. The important thing is to make sure the meat is fork-tender.
Sirloin is the most tender of these and doesn't require as much braising as the other types of steak.
If you use round steak, marinate it in a citrus-based mixture. Use lemon, lime, vinegar and a little oil; put the steak into a plastic bag, pour the marinade in the bag and massage it into the steak.
Allow the round steak to marinate for at least an hour to ensure tenderness.
If you use skirt, flank or flap steak, brown the meat first, then add broth and seasonings, cover and allow to simmer for about 45 minutes or so.
Type of noodles
Wide egg noodles are the traditional noodle of choice, but you can use any type of pasta or, if you don't have pasta, serve beef stroganoff with rice.
Here's what you need
Sirloin steak (cut into cubes or strips), onion, mushrooms (optional), beef broth, beefy onion soup mix, dry mustard, sour cream and vinegar (optional.)
How to make it
Cut steak into cubes or strips; lightly season with salt and pepper; brown in pan with a little oil; remove beef from pan
Add onions and mushrooms to the same pan; allow to cook for a few minutes
Deglaze pan with a little beef broth, scraping any meat residue and combining well
Add beef onion soup mix, mustard and sour cream to pan; combine well; add beef back to skillet; cover and simmer until meat is tender throughout - about 30 minutes
Serve over egg noodles or rice
If you want a thicker sauce, lightly coat the beef in a little flour before browning
Make sure the beef broth covers the meat
For best results, simmer with the lid on about 15-20 minutes
Serve this traditional Beef Stroganoff as a one-dish dinner or with a crisp green salad! Enjoy!
Traditional Beef Stroganoff
- 2 lbs. sirloin sliced
- 1 lb. egg noodles
- 1 pkg. beefy onion soup mix dry
- 2 cups beef broth
- ½ cup yellow onion chopped; (or 1 cup of sliced onions)
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons ground yellow mustard dried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- white vinegar (optional)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- Slice sirloin into thin strips against the grain; season with salt and pepper2 lbs. sirloin, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet and on medium heat, heat oil and add beef strips; cook till the meat is lightly browned and transfer to a plate. (You may have to do this in two batches)2 tablespoons olive oil
- Add sliced onions and mushrooms to the same pan you browned the meat; saute 5 minutes or until onions are translucent½ cup yellow onion, 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- Add beef broth, onion soup mix and ground mustard to pan; combine well, then add sour cream; mix that in real good1 pkg. beefy onion soup mix, 2 cups beef broth, 2 tablespoons ground yellow mustard, ¾ cup sour cream
- Make a slurry with ½ cup of warm water and corn starch; add slurry to pan½ cup water, 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Add browned beef strips to pan; combine and cook on low until beef is done; taste for seasonings. If you want it tangier, add white vinegarwhite vinegar (optional)
- Serve over prepared egg noodles1 lb. egg noodles