This easy and delicious vegan potato leek soup is just that--full-bodied, creamy and filling!
At first glance, you may think, "how can a cream soup be vegan?"
It contains no dairy, is gluten-free and ready in less than 30 minutes! Read on to learn the secret to making this vegan cream soup.
This recipe came to me years ago during a snow storm when the electricity was out, the milk in the refrigerator was bad and all we had in the house was a bag of potatoes and a gas stove.
There was no time to experiment with making a "no cream" creamy soup, so I had to wing it.
This recipe is the result of three days with no electricity, but I still make it--even when the lights are on!
Here's what you need
Simple and easy ingredients consist of:
- 3 lbs. russet potatoes (this makes about 4 bowls of soup)
- 2 leeks
- 1 tablespoon oil
That's it! No coconut milk, flour, cornstarch, butter or dairy. Can you believe these five ingredients can make a delicious cream soup?
What do leeks taste like?
Leeks taste like a really mild onion and give this creamy vegan potato soup a nice, yet subtle, onion flavor--not too much, but just enough so you still taste the potatoes.
What makes the "Cream" in vegan potato soup?
The secret "ingredient" to this recipe is potato water. Yep!
Once you boil and drain the potatoes, reserve some of the potato water. The starches in the potato water act as a thickening agent!
How to make it
How to clean leeks
Leeks always have a little grit in between their tightly wound leaves. The best way to clean leeks is:
Cut the root off; and about 3 inches of the green stem; discard
Slice the leek lengthwise; Separate the layers of the leek; Place layers under clean running water
Pat dry with paper towel
Before you add the potato water, mash the cooked potatoes a little to create texture.
If you want a silky smooth cream soup use a hand emulsifier. Start by adding only one cup of potato water then use the emulsifier to smooth the potatoes.
If the soup is too thick, add more potato broth and emulsify again until you get the texture you desire.
You can add any seasonings or herbs to this recipe: seasoned salt, thyme, oregano or marjoram. The options are endless, so play with the recipe however you like!
- Southwestern Navy Bean Soup
- Vegetable Soup
- Black Bean Soup
- No Cream Creamy White Bean Soup
- Southern Cornbread Dressing
- Steakhouse Baked Potatoes
If you make this recipe, please scroll down and leave a rating and comment! I love to hear from you!
Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- 3 lbs. potatoes russets; peeled and cubed
- potato broth (reserved potato water from the boiled potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 medium leeks , (about 1 cup of chopped leeks)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring stockpot of water to boil
- Peel and cube potatoes3 lbs. potatoes
- Clean and chop leeks2 medium leeks
Make the Soup
- Boil and drain potatoes; reserve the potato broth in a bowl; set both aside3 lbs. potatoes
- In the same stockpot, add oil and chopped leeks; saute for 3-5 minutes2 medium leeks, 1 tablespoon oil
- Add cooked potatoes to stockpot; slightly mash some of the potatoes to create texture
- Add 1 cup of reserved potato water and cook for 10 minutes; if it's too thick, add a little more potato brothpotato broth
- Season to taste with salt and peppersalt and pepper to taste