Pistachio Poppyseed Chicken Salad
Chicken salad with celery, onion, pistachios and poppy seeds in a creamy Dijon-buttermilk dressing.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 4 cups
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachios shelled, finely ground
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
Cook the chicken (see recipe notes) or buy a rotisserie chicken; remove any skin and shred the meat
Place shredded chicken, chopped pistachios, onion and celery in a large bowl; set aside
In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients
Pour half of dressing over chicken; combine well; add more dressing if desired after it's rested in the fridge
Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes
Remove from refrigerator; add remaining dressing if desired; let sit for 10 minutes prior to serving
- No buttermilk? Use sour cream, kefir or plain yogurt instead!
Do I Use Dark or White Meat?
You can use dark or white meat in this healthy recipe. Some people like only white meat in their chicken salad while others prefer a combination of the two. Dark meat seemingly has a little more flavor, but it's really up to you and your personal preference.
How Do I Cook Chicken for Chicken Salad?
There are a few methods for cooking chicken:
After the chicken is cooked, shred the chicken using two forks. If you elect to use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, simply remove the skin and shred the chicken.
- Bake: Lightly season meat with salt and pepper; place in baking dish and cover with foil; cook at 350ºF until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF
- Boil: place chicken in salted water and bring to boil; cook until the center of the chicken parts reach 165ºF
- Crock pot: place chicken and water in a slow cooker and cook on low 5 hours
How Long Does it Last in the Refrigerator?
Generally speaking, foods last 3-5 days in the refrigerator provided they are covered tightly and stored in an uncrowded refrigerator.
Can I Freeze Chicken Salad?
Unfortunately, mayonnaise does not freeze well and separates when frozen. On the other hand, "salad dressings" (like Miracle Whip), are often used as a mayonnaise substitute because they can be frozen without separating.