Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
Tender seasoned beef strips with caramelized onions, bell peppers and provolone.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 2 hoagie sandwiches
- 1⅓ lbs sirloin cut into strips
- 1/2 pkg. Beefy Onion Soup Mix dry mix
- 2 cups water or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large yellow onion cut into thin strips
- 1 medium green bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 2 Hoagie sandwich buns
In a large skillet, heat oil on medium heat; slice bell peppers, beef and onions
Add beef strips, sliced onion and bell pepper; cook until meat is lightly browned (no visible pink)
Once sirloin is browned, add beefy onion soup dry mix and Worcestershire sauce; combine well
Add enough broth or water to cover meat; (about 2 cups); reduce heat to medium-low
Cover and cook on medium-low for 40 minutes
Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove the beef, peppers and onions and set aside
Sandwich Assembly and Cheese
Preheat oven to 350ºF
Place hoagie buns in foil and bake for 10 minutes--until soft and warm
Remove buns from oven
Turn oven to broil
Slice hoagie buns lengthwise leaving one side uncut; place meat, then onions, then bell peppers. Place cheese on top.
Place sandwiches under broiler just until cheese melts.
Remove from oven and enjoy!
- The sirloin for a Philly cheesesteak can also be made in a crock pot; just season the meat, add dry onion mix, Worcestershire sauce and cover with water. Cook on low for about 3 hours.
How Do I Make a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich?
The ingredients in this homemade Philly cheesesteak sandwich are simple: tender strips of beef, cooked onion, bell pepper and provolone cheese.
- Saute onions and peppers; set aside
- Cook beef until it's brown
- Add broth and cooked vegetables to beef and cook until meat is tender
- Warm hoagie buns (wrapped in foil)
- Place beef and onions on bun, top with cheese and
- Place under broiler until cheese is melted
What Is the Best Type of Beef for a Cheesesteak Sandwich?
Most sandwiches are made with either strips of:
- skirt steak
What Type of Bread Should I Use?
A hoagie bun is the traditional choice of bread, but you can use any thick, white bread. Bouille, Submarine, or "hero" rolls also work great for a delicious homemade Philly cheesesteak sandwich.
What Kind of Cheese Goes on an Authentic Steak Sandwich?
Traditional cheesesteak sandwiches use a processed yellow cheese, like CheezWhiz®, however, provolone cheese works equally well and complements the flavors of the beef, peppers and onions.