Spaghetti Squash Stir-Fry is a healthy spin on
traditional beef stir-fry without carbohydrates from rice or noodles!
Spaghetti squash is an excellent alternative to rice and/or noodles in many recipes, and it works great in this Spaghetti Squash Stir Fry recipe.
Nutritional Benefits of Spaghetti Squash
Squash is naturally low-fat, gluten and cholesterol-free. One cup of spaghetti squash provides ample doses of both Omega 3 and 6, as well as a mega dose of vitamins A and C. The content of vitamin A relative to daily values is over 450%! Vitamin A enhances antioxidant levels, as well as skin and vision support. Vitamin C comes in second with approximately 80% of daily value. Squash is also high in those minerals we take for granted such as folate, magnesium, potassium and phosphorous.
This recipe offers additional vitamin and minerals through the inclusion of carrots, bean sprouts, water chestnuts and beef. Water chestnuts provide flavanoid antioxidants, as well as about 10% of the daily values of copper, manganese, riboflavin and vitamin B6. Bean sprouts are naturally high in fiber, low-fat, cholesterol and gluten-free, and provide an ample amount of vitamin C and carrots provide cartenoids and beta-carotene. Beef provides Omega 6, protein, potassium and calcium.
Spaghetti squash stir fry can be prepared for a vegan diet simply by substituting the beef with: tofu, bell peppers, jackfruit, mushrooms, eggplant or edamame.
A great side dish with Spaghetti Squash Stir Fry is Parmesan Peppered Peas!
Spaghetti Squash Stir Fry
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1-11/2 lbs flank steak sliced
- 1 zucchini sliced into matchsticks
- 1 yellow squash thin slices
- 1 can water chesnuts drained
- 1 can bamboo shoots drained
- 2 carrots sliced or shaved
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Tamari or Soy Sauce- to taste Tamari is Gluten-Fre
- 1/2 medium onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds (optional)
Meat Marinade Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground chili paste
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Blend
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon soy or tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine not rice wine vinegar
- Blanch squash: Place entire squash in dutch oven and add water almost to cover squash. Bring to medium-high heat. Turn squash occasionally with tongs to ensure entire squash is submerged in hot water). Using tongs, remove squash when outer shell is tender (soft enough to slice with a sharp knife).
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Once squash is tender, remove from water with tongs, allow to cool
- After squash has cooled, cut lengthwise
- Remove seeds with a spoon
- In a baking dish, place both halves of squash cut-side down; add 1 inch water to pan. Place in oven for 35 - 40 minutes
- Once squash halves are done, take a fork and scrape out the "spaghetti" looking strings. Put them in a bowl; lightly salt and pepper
- Before blanching the squash, combine meat marinade ingredients and sliced meat in a plastic bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a big skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of sesame oil; add steak and marinade to oil and seer until browned; remove from skillet, slice into bite sized pieces and set aside covered with foil
- In the same skillet on medium-high heat, add onions, carrots, and squash; allow to cook until semi-tender; add cooked beef back into skillet, allow combination to cook a bit; taste for seasonings
- Cook the entire combination on a relatively high heat, but not for long. You want the vegetables to be somewhat crunchy.
- Final Presentation
- Plate spaghetti squash or use the shell as the serving vessel; top with meat and vegetables;
- Add Tamari or Soy sauce to taste; garnish with scallions, cilantro and sesame seeds
- Enhance the nutritional value of this dish by adding mushrooms; cook them with the onions
- Add snow peas, broccoli or baby corn
[contact-form][contact-field label=”Name” type=”name” required=”true” /][contact-field label=”Email” type=”email” required=”true” /][contact-field label=”Website” type=”url” /][contact-field label=”Message” type=”textarea” /][/contact-form]