Light and airy, this delicious Scandinavian Almond Cake is easy to make and even better with the homemade rum glaze!
The unique, rectangular and beveled shape of the cake makes a lovely presentation for this holiday cake!
I make this easy Scandinavian Almond Cake every Christmas holiday! It's easy to make and is a lovely presentation on your holiday dessert table!
I first had this delicious holiday cake at my Mother-in-law's house in Minnesota. They are of Finnish descent, and somehow this Scandinavian almond cake ended up in her recipe collection.
Scandinavia consists of Denmark, Norway and Sweden, where "Nordic" includes Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland.
You won't typically find Scandinavian desserts in the South, so this is always a welcome treat, especially around Christmas!
You'll love this recipe!
- Quick and easy - pretty straightforward recipe; nothing fancy or tricky
- Delicious - not too sweet
- Versatile - you can make it with or without the rum glaze...either way, it's yummy!
Here's what you'll need:
The ingredients for this Nordic dessert are pretty simple and straight-forward.
For the cake: sugar, flour, eggs, butter, baking powder, almond extract and sliced almonds.
For the glaze: butter, water, sugar and about ½ cup of dark rum.
Scandinavian Almond Cake Pan
The rectangular, beveled pan is what makes this dessert have such a pretty presentation.
You can find it on Amazon...search for "Scandinavian Almond Cake Pan"... they're about $10 and totally worth it!
Here's how to make it:
Lightly oil the baking pan and sprinkle sliced almonds in the bottom.
In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, eggs, almond extract and milk; stir that then add the flour, baking powder and melted butter. Pour in the cake batter and bake 40-50 minutes...that's it!
If you slice the cake in between the grooves, you'll get about 16 thin slices from a traditional Scandinavian almond cake pan.
Don't wanna use rum?
Scandinavian almond cake can be made without a rum butter glaze, or serve the glaze on the side (the cake is so moist, you really don't need a butter glaze, but you could just pour melted butter over it! )
Another option is to make a sugar/butter glaze and add a little powdered sugar to the butter; stir well, and serve warm over the cake.
A third and traditional option is to eliminate the glaze altogether and just sprinkle some powdered sugar on top.
Can I make this in a regular cake pan?
If you don't have an elongated pan, use a regular cake pan but double the recipe. Why?
The "Scandinavian Cake pan" is not very deep; if you use the single recipe in an 8" or 9" round pan, the almond cake is too thin and not very appealing.
You can also use a tube or Bundt pan.- but again, you'll need to double the recipe!
Lightly oil the pan first, then sprinkle the bottom of the pan with sliced almonds; pour in the cake batter and bake. Allow a little more baking time if doubling the recipe.
Make it in advance!
This cake holds up quite well if you want to make it in advance.
Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Store the glaze in the fridge as well.
When you're ready to serve this Scandinavian dessert, take the cake out of the fridge and let it get to room temperature; reheat the rum glaze on the stove top and serve.
I do not recommend reheating the rum glaze in the microwave. I've tried it a million times and it always burns, bubbles and makes a mess!
Scandinavian Almond Cake is also a perfectly light dessert for year-round events: wedding/baby shower, brunch or a sweet addition to a wine and cheese tasting party!
They also make great hostess or Christmas gifts! If you want to make individual cakes, simply follow the instructions, but make them in a muffin pan!
- Orange Italian Cream Cake
- Fresh Apple Cake
- Classic Southern Pecan Pie
- Gingerbread Bundt Cake
- Easy Homemade Marshmallows
- Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce
If you make this recipe, please scroll down and leave a comment and rating! I love to hear from you! Thank you!
Scandinavian Almond Cake
- 1 cup sugar , granualted
- 1 whole egg , lightly beaten
- 1½ teaspoons almond extract
- ⅔ cup milk ,2% or whole
- 1¼ cups flour , all-purpose
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick butter melted, unsalted
- 4 oz. almonds sliced
- cooking spray for pan
Rum Butter Glaze Ingredients (See Recipe Notes)
- 1 stick butter melted
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ - ½ cup dark rum (See Recipe Notes)
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Spray baking dish with cooking spray; add almonds to baking dishcooking spray, 4 oz. almonds
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, egg, almond extract and milk; combine well1 cup sugar, 1 whole egg, 1½ teaspoons almond extract, ⅔ cup milk
- Add flour, baking powder and melted butter to sugar/egg combination; combine well1¼ cups flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder, 1 stick butter
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake for 40-50 minutes or until the edges are golden brown
- Allow cake to cool in pan for 20 minutes; gently remove and plate
- Serve with warm rum butter glaze
- Add all ingredients to sauce pan and heat until sugar is dissolved1 stick butter, ¼ cup water, 1 cup sugar, ¼ - ½ cup dark rum
- Drizzle glaze over cake or individual slices
- Double the recipe
- Start with ¼ cup of dark rum in the sugar mixture; taste it after the sugar is dissolved to see if you want more rum:) if so, add a little more!
- If you only have light rum, start with ¼ cup of light rum and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar; heat until sugar is dissolved; taste and add more rum or brown sugar until it's to your liking!