Philly Cheesesteak is best when it’s homemade with tender strips of seasoned sirloin, nestled in a bed of grilled onions and bell peppers, and topped with gooey provolone cheese!
Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
Tender seasoned beef strips with caramelized onions, bell peppers and provolone.
Servings: 2 hoagie sandwiches
- 1⅓ lbs sirloin cut into strips
- 1/2 pkg. Beefy Onion Soup Mix dry mix
- 2 cups water or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large yellow onion cut into thin strips
- 1 medium green bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 2 Hoagie sandwich buns
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium heat; slice bell peppers, beef and onions
- Add beef strips, sliced onion and bell pepper; cook until meat is lightly browned (no visible pink)
- Once sirloin is browned, add beefy onion soup dry mix and Worcestershire sauce; combine well
- Add enough broth or water to cover meat; (about 2 cups); reduce heat to medium-low
- Cover and cook on medium-low for 40 minutes
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove the beef, peppers and onions and set aside
Sandwich Assembly and Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Place hoagie buns in foil and bake for 10 minutes--until soft and warm
- Remove buns from oven
- Turn oven to broil
- Slice hoagie buns lengthwise leaving one side uncut; place meat, then onions, then bell peppers. Place cheese on top.
- Place sandwiches under broiler just until cheese melts.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
- The sirloin for a Philly cheesesteak can also be made in a crock pot; just season the meat, add dry onion mix, Worcestershire sauce and cover with water. Cook on low for about 3 hours.
How Do I Make a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich?The ingredients in this homemade Philly cheesesteak sandwich are simple: tender strips of beef, cooked onion, bell pepper and provolone cheese.
- Saute onions and peppers; set aside
- Cook beef until it's brown
- Add broth and cooked vegetables to beef and cook until meat is tender
- Warm hoagie buns (wrapped in foil)
- Place beef and onions on bun, top with cheese and
- Place under broiler until cheese is melted
What Is the Best Type of Beef for a Cheesesteak Sandwich?Most sandwiches are made with either strips of:
- skirt steak