Mediterranean Orzo Salad
…is a versatile, deliciously light salad that everyone loves! Made with a few simple ingredients, it can be made ahead, served cold, hot or room temp!
Typically, orzo doesn’t have much flavor, but this recipe ramps-up the flavor with a light and tangy sauce, accented with sweet grape tomatoes and crunchy asparagus! Don’t like asparagus? Try using broccoli, green peas or Brussels sprouts.
Orzo with grape tomatoes, onions and asparagus in a light and flavorful sauce.
- 2 cups orzo
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 8 large stalks asparagus
- 6 oz. feta cheese crumbled
- 2 cups olive oil good quality
- 1 3/4 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1/2 red onion diced
Combine all ingredients into a jar (or bowl) and combine vigorously
Refrigerate for 10 minutes; then pour over salad
Bring 8-10 cups water to a boil on high heat, in a large pot
Add orzo and cook, uncovered, for 9 minutes
Drain orzo and set aside
While orzo is cooking, in a skillet on medium high heat, add onions, sun dried tomatoes and chopped asparagus; toss ingredients in pan and cook till asparagus is lightly tender
Add sauce to asparagus pan; heat sauce then sauce and tomato mixture over orzo
Combine until all the orzo is coated; plate and garnish with feta cheese and parsley
- Grape tomatoes can be substituted with cherry or sun-dried tomatoes
- Don't care for asparagus? Try using chopped broccoli or Brussels sprouts
- No sugar? Try 1-2 tablespoons of Agave nectar
You might want to double, or triple the recipe! This is a great salad to have on hand when you’re starving and don’t have time to cook!