Lentil soup is quick and easy to make, super healthy, filling and good for you! Make some today!
Lentil Soup is delicious, easy to make and ultra healthy!
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 cups carrots (about 3 large carrots) sliced
- 1/2 cup celery (about 2 stalks) chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 28 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 32 oz. box of vegetable broth (about 4 cups)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
In a dutch oven, add oil, onion, carrot and celery; cook on medium-high until onions are translucent (5-8 minutes)
Add tomatoes (with their juice), broth and bay leaves
Bring combination to boil
Reduce heat to medium low and cook 10-15 minutes, or until carrots are tender
Reduce heat to low; add lentils; cover and let simmer about 25 minutes, till lentils are tender
Lentils absorb liquid, so check on them occasionally; you may need to add more broth or water
Remove bay leaves prior to serving
- Lentils do not need to be soaked--just rinsed prior to adding them to the liquid
- If you want to heighten the nutrition of lentil soup, add 3 cups of chopped kale about 5 minutes before serving
- This recipe in total takes about an hour to make because I like to bring the tomato mixture to a rolling boil then let it cook for about 20 minutes; however, you don't have to cook the tomato mixture that long--I think it allows the flavors to marry and cooks off some of the acidity from the tomatoes.