Lentil soup is quick and easy to make, super healthy, filling and good for you! Make some today!
Lentil Soup is full of healthy, nutritious vitamins and minerals and the best thing is…it’s delicious and filling! Since lentils don’t require soaking, this hearty soup can be made in less than an hour.
Lentil Soup is delicious, easy to make and ultra healthy!
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 cups carrots (about 3 large carrots) sliced
- 1/2 cup celery (about 2 stalks) chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 28 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 32 oz. box of vegetable broth (about 4 cups)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
In a dutch oven, add oil, onion, carrot and celery; cook on medium-high until onions are translucent (5-8 minutes)
Add tomatoes (with their juice), broth and bay leaves
Bring combination to boil
Reduce heat to medium low and cook 10-15 minutes, or until carrots are tender
Reduce heat to low; add lentils; cover and let simmer about 25 minutes, till lentils are tender
Lentils absorb liquid, so check on them occasionally; you may need to add more broth or water
Remove bay leaves prior to serving
- Lentils do not need to be soaked--just rinsed prior to adding them to the liquid
- If you want to heighten the nutrition of lentil soup, add 3 cups of chopped kale about 5 minutes before serving
- This recipe in total takes about an hour to make because I like to bring the tomato mixture to a rolling boil then let it cook for about 20 minutes; however, you don't have to cook the tomato mixture that long--I think it allows the flavors to marry and cooks off some of the acidity from the tomatoes.