Jackfruit is a unique tropical fruit indigenous to the rain forests of India. It is cultivated in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Sri Lanka and was introduced to the States around the early 1800’s and is an ideal ingredient for vegan and vegetarian dishes; it absorbs seasonings well and has the texture of chicken.
Jackfruit is naturally low-fat, cholesterol, soy, and gluten-free food. About half a cup of the meaty fruit provides 23% RDA of vitamin C, 25% vitamin B6, 8.5% manganese, 7.5% iron, and 6.5% potassium. Additionally, it offers about 5 grams of dietary fiber and 4 grams of protein.
Jackfruit is a unique tropical fruit indigenous to the rain forests of India, and often appears on vegan, vegetarian and plant-based menus as a protein substitute. Jackfruit is naturally low-fat, cholesterol, soy, and gluten-free food.
- 2 cans organic jackfruit rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas thawed
- 1 can organic coconut milk
- 1/2 cup organic tomatoes pureed
- 3 cardamom (cardamon) seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons ginger fresh, grated
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 2 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Drain and rinse Jackfruit; set aside
In a large skillet or stock pot (with a lid) heat oil on medium-low. Add onion and seeds. Stir until onions are translucent and seeds are aromatic
Add Jackfruit to seasonings and allow to brown; about 5 - 8 minutes
Add carrots, turmeric, chili peppers, ginger, and chili powder. Stir until Jackfruit is well coated in seasonings.
Add bay leaves, garlic, tomatoes, coconut milk, carrots
Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes
With a slotted spoon, gently remove Jackfruit and set aside
Shred or finely chop Jackfruit and add back into stove top mixture
Sprinkle rice into mixture
Add liquid - water or vegetable broth (make sure rice is completely covered in liquid)
Cover and allow to cook for 20-25 minutes; stir occasionally
When rice is tender, add thawed frozen peas
Cover and cook till peas are tender
Remove bay leaves; plate and garnish with cilantro, parsley, mint or green onions
- This recipe is vegan; however, if you aren't vegan, substitute the vegetable broth with chicken broth - or-
- Substitute jackfruit with chicken
- This recipe has a host of seasonings that make it truly divine! Note the chili powder and red pepper flakes may be added near the end of cooking time in order to better monitor the dish’s heat index. This dish may be served as a main entree or a side. The Jackfruit cooks pretty quickly; the cook time (about 45 minutes total) is to allow for the seasonings to marry and incorporate into the Jackfruit.