Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 16 oz. Mushrooms
- 32 oz. Vegetable Stock (or Broth)
- 1 small Sweet Yellow Onion
- 4 T Butter/Margarine
- 1 C Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp. Turbinado sugar
- 3 tsp. Sherry (cooking sherry)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Optional: Garnish with thyme or marjoram
- With a damp paper towel, lightly wipe debris from mushrooms and remove stems.
- Pulse mushrooms in food processor (in batches). Set aside.
- Pulse onions in food processor until fine. Set aside.
- In a 6 quart pot, place 3 tbsp. of butter or margarine
- At a low to medium heat, add onions in butter until translucent
- Add mushrooms; stir and combine (this will be thick and grainy looking)
- Lightly sprinkle salt and pepper over mixture (1/4 tsp of salt max.)
- Continue to cook over low to medium heat for about 3 minutes
- Add broth (stock) -bring to boil for 3 minutes – uncovered
- Turn off burner and cover soup; let cool a bit
- Add heavy cream to warm soup; stir
- Add sugar and sherry
- Allow soup to cook a while; add salt and pepper to taste
Mushrooms have been a staple in the diet since ancient times. They are neither fruit nor vegetable, but a fungus. They are self-sufficient in nutritional development because they gain their nutrients from metabolizing non-living organic matter. Mushrooms are the perfect food due to their naturally low sodium levels, zero fat and cholesterol, and are gluten-free. White button mushrooms are the most popular because of their very mild flavor. These are found mostly in salads, pizza toppings and mushroom sauce. Crimini, or “baby bellas” are small brown mushrooms that offer a deeper flavor and usually accompany a pork or beef dish. They are also often found in Asian dishes. Shiitake mushrooms are on the opposite end of the spectrum of white buttons. They offer a deep woodsy flavor and are often used as a meat substitute in vegetarian dishes.
For many, it’s a habit to check the fat, protein carbohydrate and vitamin contents of a food, but we rarely check the trace mineral values of a food. Trace minerals are required for our bodies in maintaining healthy fluid balances, regulating hormones, regulating blood pressure and more.
What are the secret ingredients? Let me know what you think… Hint: there are two and they are sisters….”Sugar” and “Sherry”. .
What are the secret ingredients?
Let me know what you think… Hint: there are two and they are sisters….”Sugar” and “Sherry”.