Classic Chicken Spaghetti is always a crowd pleaser! Who doesn’t love ooey-gooey cheesy pasta? Make this and make a lot because they always go back for seconds!
Chicken spaghetti is delicious with both white and dark meat, however, if you prefer, it can be made with just white or just dark meat. I find the dark meat adds a deeper flavor to the dish! Chop and saute vegetables, add soups and seasonings, boil pasta, combine, top with cheese and you’ve got enough pasta for feed a group!
Cheesy chicken spaghetti with red and green bell peppers, shredded chicken in a creamy sauce!
- 1 lb. pasta (spaghetti)
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs OR
- 2 lbs. chicken breast and/or thigh
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup green or red bell pepper chopped
- 1 can chicken soup condensed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 5-8 oz. sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- 5-8 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon cumin ground
- 1 tablespoon paprika smokey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
Preheat oven to 350ºF
Place chicken thighs (or breasts) in a large pot and cover with water; bring to boil; allow chicken to come to 165ºF; remove chicken and set aside - OR-place chicken on lightly greased baking dish, season with salt and pepper, cover with foil and bake
While chicken is cooking, chop onions, celery and bell peppers
Once chicken has cooled, remove skin and pull meat from the bone. Use two forks to shred the meat.
Add oil to skillet, place onions, celery and bell peppers in oil; cook about 15 minutes on medium - medium/high heat
Once onion mixture is done, add condensed soup, sour cream, broth, cumin and paprika; allow to cook for about 5 minutes
In another big cooking pot, cook pasta as indicated on packaging (usually about 9 minutes) Drain pasta
While pasta is cooking, remove the skin from the chicken and add it to the mixture of onions, etc. Combine well
Lightly oil a 9 x 13 baking dish; add pasta and onion mixture to baking dish; combine well
Add 1/2 of the cheese to the pasta and onion mixture; combine well
Top with remaining cheese; cover with foil and bake about 15 minutes, or until cheese has melted and casserole is bubbly.
- The beauty of this dish, other than being delicious, is that it serves a crowd without breaking the bank.
- I make this dish with dark meat because I think it's more flavorful, however, if you prefer white meat, then get two pounds of chicken breast. Cook them as indicated in the recipe
- Try adding chopped black olives
- Pair with a green salad or sugar snap peas
- If you buy skin-on chicken, I've found it's easier to remove the skin prior to cooking the chicken.