Calamari Steaks are quick, easy, low-fat and low-carb, as well as extremely delicious and versatile!
Calamari Steaks are wonderfully versatile, low-carb, low-fat and delicious--and they only take about 6 minutes to cook!
- 1 whole calamari steak
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 large tomatoes peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
Rinse calamari steak and pat dry with paper towel
Remove any tendrils
Using a sharp knife, score the steak on both sides in a "plaid" fashion (this keeps the steak from curling up while under heat)
Squeeze fresh lemon juice over steak (both sides); lightly season with salt and pepper; allow to sit for 25 minutes
Meanwhile, 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet on medium heat
Add tomatoes, garlic and basil to tomatoes; allow tomatoes to cook until juice has reduced. Turn heat to simmer and cook the calamari steak.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet on medium-to-medium high heat; Place steak in hot oil and do not move it for 3 minutes. (If it starts to curl, just use a potato masher to press down on it.)
Flip calamari after 3 minutes and cook on the other side
Cut steak into bite sized pieces and serve with a dollop of stewed tomatoes.
- Calamari will take on the flavor of whatever it is marinated...if you want a spicy calamari, try cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce.
- If you prefer a beefy flavor, try marinating it in beef broth.
Got questions about cooking calamari steaks? See the FAQ here!