Pan Fried Rainbow Trout is a healthy, quick and easy dish ready in under 15 minutes!
This Pan Fried Rainbow Trout recipe is very easy and extra delicious! The filet is lightly breaded in seasoned bread crumbs, then cooked for less than 10 minutes.
If you’re trying to eat healthier, increase the amount of Omega-3’s in your diet, and you’re tired of salmon, trout is an excellent choice. While both fish offer ample amounts of vitamins, minerals and nutrients, it should be noted that trout has an enormous amount of Vitamin D, (also known as the Sunshine vitamin), whereas salmon offers an equally impressive amount of Vitamin A.
Pan-seared Rainbow Trout lightly breaded and seasoned to perfection!
- 1-1 1/2 lbs. trout leave the skin on
- 4 tablespoons butter divided (2 T for fish; 2 T for sauce)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups bread crumbs plain or seasoned
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning dry; divided
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- citrus; juice of two lemons or four limes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Pre-heat oven to 200ºF
In a shallow pan, combine bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper; set aside
In a small bowl, combine mustard and juice of one lemon; set aside
Heat heavy-bottom skillet on medium high heat, with oil and two tablespoons of butter
Pat dry fish with paper towel; using a brush, coat fish entirely in the mustard/lemon mixture
Move each fillet to the breadcrumbs and coat thoroughly
Working in batches, place mustard-coated, breaded filet skin side down into the skillet
Cook for 6-7 minutes skin-side down; carefully turn filet over and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until center of filet reaches 145ºF
Drain filets on paper towels, then place on oven-proof pan
Place filet on oven-safe pan and move to oven; repeat process until all filets are done
Drain some of the oil from the fry pan; using tongs and a damp paper towel, remove any bits from pan; reduce heat to low
Add remaining two tablespoons of butter and remaining citrus (juice of one lemon or two limes) to pan
Plate filets and pour sauce over filets
- This recipe is based on 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. of fish which serves two people; adjust ingredient amounts accordingly if cooking more fish
- This recipe has a tiny bit of heat to it due to the Dijon mustard and cayenne pepper; if you prefer less heat, omit the cayenne pepper and substitute with smoky paprika