Pesto Mozzarella Chicken is a fun way to put an Italian-spin on a boring weeknight dinner! Tender chicken breast stuffed with roasted red peppers, fresh mozarella and topped with pesto! Think of it as Italian without the carbs!
This simple dish is quick, easy and doesn’t require a red sauce. The one thing it does require is high-quality, fresh mozzarella cheese. I like BelGioioso Pre-Sliced Mozzarella (16 oz. ea., 2 pk.)because it’s already sliced. Slicing fresh mozzarella can be cumbersome…
Pesto Mozzarella Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasonings
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted bell peppers from jar
- 1/3 - 1/4 cup pesto sauce from jar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice chicken halfway through, lengthwise; do not cut all the way through
- Season chicken with garlic powder and Italian seasonings
- In a skillet, heat oil and butter
- Place chicken in the skillet and cook it until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees
- Using tongs, remove chicken from skillet
- Place pesto, roasted peppers and sliced mozzarella sliced side of the chicken
- Add remaining pesto and cheese to top of chicken; cover with foil and bake until cheese has melted (about 15 minutes)
- Pesto Mozzarella Chicken is perfect for a crowd--cook the chicken and refrigerate. Before guests arrive, stuff the chicken breasts, cover them with pesto and cheese; place foil over the baking dish and bake at 350°for 30 minutes.
- If you like, add sauteed mushrooms and chopped artichokes to the chicken cavity
- Serve with a side of pasta, salad and a glass of Pinot Grigio
After you make this, please let me know what you thought!