Pesto Mozzarella Chicken is very easy to make and tastes delicious with a side of lemon pasta!
Whenever I make Pesto Chicken, I slice the breasts almost in half lengthwise.Then I saute them in a cast iron skillet to develop a nice brown crust. Once the chicken is done internally, I remove the breasts from the pan and place them in a baking dish.
Next, I put a little pesto sauce in the cut and stuff the breasts with jarred (or fresh) roasted red peppers and mozzarella cheese. The final step, place a slice of mozzarella cheese and a big scoop of pesto on top of the chicken and put it under the broiler until the cheese is nice and melted.
This is one of the most flavorful chicken dishes around…. I mean what could be better than chicken, roasted red peppers and creamy mozzarella cheese?
I generally serve this with a side of lemon-infused pasta…the flavors just melt in your mouth. Sometimes, I serve this dish with an artichoke as the appetizer…simple, yet yummy!!!
Pesto Mozzarella Chicken is quick and easy to make and puts a nice, light Italian spin on every day chicken!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasonings
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted bell peppers from jar
- 1/3 - 1/4 cup pesto sauce from jar
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Slice chicken halfway through, lengthwise; do not cut all the way through
Season chicken with garlic powder and Italian seasonings
In a skillet, heat oil and butter
Place chicken in the skillet and cook it until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees
Using tongs, remove chicken from skillet
Place pesto, roasted peppers and sliced mozzarella sliced side of the chicken
Add remaining pesto and cheese to top of chicken; cover with foil and bake until cheese has melted (about 15 minutes)
- Pesto Mozzarella Chicken is perfect for a crowd--cook the chicken and refrigerate. Before guests arrive, stuff the chicken breasts, cover them with pesto and cheese; place foil over the baking dish and bake at 350°for 30 minutes.
- If you like, add sauteed mushrooms and chopped artichokes to the chicken cavity
- Serve with a side of pasta, salad and a glass of Pinot Grigio