Pesto Mozzarella Chicken is an easy weeknight dinner that feels fancy! Chicken breasts stuffed with roasted red peppers and creamy mozzarella cheese, then drizzled with pesto sauce!
You'll love this low-carb Italian dinner not only because it's quick and easy, but it's quite flavorful! Tender chicken breasts, stuffed with mozzarella cheese and roasted red peppers. Bake then drizzle with pesto sauce!
Ingredients for Pesto Mozzarella Chicken
This easy two-step chicken dinner is easy to make and very flavorful! The ingredients are simple:
- chicken breasts
- mozzarella cheese
- roasted red peppers
- pesto sauce
There's no need to roast peppers or make homemade pesto for this quick meal! Use high-quality jarred roasted red peppers (I like the ones that are marinated in olive oil) and a good jarred pesto sauce. I recommend using sliced mozarella (from the grocery deli) or fresh mozzarella.
How to Make Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken
Lightly season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat olive oil and add chicken breasts. Saute chicken about 5 minutes on each side or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF. Remove breasts and slice in half lengthwise. Place roasted peppers and mozzarella cheese in the chicken breast. Drizzle pesto sauce over the top of the breasts and place another slice of mozzarella on top of the breast.
Put the dressed chicken breasts on a lighty oiled baking sheet and place under broiler until cheese melts. Remove from oven and enjoy!
I often serve Pesto Mozzarella Chicken with a side of lemon infused pasta and a green salad or a steamed artichoke.
Pesto Mozzarella Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasonings
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted bell peppers from jar
- 1/3 - 1/4 cup pesto sauce from jar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice chicken halfway through, lengthwise; do not cut all the way through
- Season chicken with garlic powder and Italian seasonings
- In a skillet, heat oil and butter
- Place chicken in the skillet and cook it until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees
- Using tongs, remove chicken from skillet
- Place pesto, roasted peppers and sliced mozzarella sliced side of the chicken
- Add remaining pesto and cheese to top of chicken; cover with foil and bake until cheese has melted (about 15 minutes)
- Pesto Mozzarella Chicken is perfect for a crowd--cook the chicken and refrigerate. Before guests arrive, stuff the chicken breasts, cover them with pesto and cheese; place foil over the baking dish and bake at 350°for 30 minutes.
- If you like, add sauteed mushrooms and chopped artichokes to the chicken cavity
- Serve with a side of pasta, salad and a glass of Pinot Grigio